Polaris ATV Forum banner

starter crankcase bushing destroyed

24K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  jschlip1990 
#1 ·
here is some pics of my 2007 polaris Trail Boss 330 starter crankcase bushing destroyed, and the pieces are stuck to the pick up coil ( I think it's called) you can also see where the gear was grinding into the casing

I corrected one problem a few days ago (no start condition) and yet another appears.The engine acted like it was hard to turn over today

I have been having a grinding noise coming from the recoil housing, when trying to start the polaris. I removed the recoil housing to discover the bendix was hanging up and not retracting off the fly wheel ring gear. I removed the bendix to inspect it, and discovered this other issue, a destroyed starter crankcase bushing

I think the bendix spring has been weaken from the binding and now will not snap back in place quickly. I will replace it, however the bushing is another issue
What is the best way to remove this bushing and will it be easy to find another bushing for replacement>
thanks for your time

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't know if you can get a L shape behind that and use a slide hammer to pull it. Might also try a Pilot Bearing puller. In a pinch, I have used a tap to cut threads in a blind bearing like that and if you can keep turning it, it will push the worn bearing out or at least give you enough threads to use a bolt to pry it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Fred

#3 ·
. In a pinch, I have used a tap to cut threads in a blind bearing like that and if you can keep turning it, it will push the worn bearing out or at least give you enough threads to use a bolt to pry it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Fred
Right on the money! I replaced mine and used a tap to do it! Just make sure that the tap that your using is not pointy on the tip. If so it will crack the crank case. I used a grinder to flatten the tip of the tap and it worked great, just use a little lube and you'll be fine!

#4 ·
I had an old guy show me how to remove this style bushing by packing it full of grease and using a bolt the same size as the opening. Once it's full of grease insert the bolt and smack it with a hammer. most usually pop right out. I've used this trick for years.

#13 ·
Well removed the bushing with a chisel, took about 15 minutes tops. The bushing material will just break up at a certain point and fall out of the bore

I don't recommend this procedure because you can gouge the bore the bushing presses into

now just waiting on my new bushings to arrive, then off to install it and button up this polaris

#15 ·
case side bendix bushing

2002 Sportsman 500 DUSE. Bendix is making a LOT of noise when the quad is running. I know the case side busing is worn due to bendix just floating around inside of it. However; New bushing seems to be slightly smaller.. Is this normal or am I missing something? I have not pulled the old bushing out, I only held the new on top of the old to compare size..

I dont dare to remove "old one" whereas I can at least start it with the current set up. Please advise!

#18 ·
2002 Sportsman 500 DUSE. Bendix is making a LOT of noise when the quad is running. I know the case side busing is worn due to bendix just floating around inside of it. However; New bushing seems to be slightly smaller.. Is this normal or am I missing something? I have not pulled the old bushing out, I only held the new on top of the old to compare size..

I dont dare to remove "old one" whereas I can at least start it with the current set up. Please advise!
Where did you get the bushing in the pics? The part number polman provided is correct for both the bushing in the recoil cover as well as the engine case. If the bushing you have came from Polaris, what is the part number you got?

Bushings come in various standard sizes both metric and inch. You might be able to get a bushing from a local bearing supplier and simply cut it to length. I can buy 8x10x10 mm bronze bushings from an industrial supply out of Chicago for less than $3 each with no minimum purchase requirement. If I were working on it and only needed one bushing, I would get it from Polaris. If you got the bushing you have from Polaris and it's part number 3083669, then it's possible the engine was repaired with a custom bushing. If that's the case, you just need to extract the bushing and take it to a local machine shop and have them manufacture a replacement.

#19 · (Edited)
The bushing fits both sides of the bendix. It also fits very well into the recoil housing. The bushing came with a new recoil kit that I purchased due to a broke spring and cracked case. Perhaps this bushing is smaller to fit the new housing and different than the case side. However: I would assume not. How can I get the bushing out of the case side without destroying it so that I can compare it to a new Polaris bushing?

On second thought, and zooming in on the picture... Is the very front of that a taper or bevelled to help the bushing slide in.. If that's the case, maybe the bushing is the correct size... SMH

Attachments

#20 ·
Did you purchase the recoil kit part number 3087163 from Polaris?

The hole for the bushing has a bevel to ease installation - the bushing can be removed with a small internal blind hole bearing puller, but they are specialized and expensive - the easiest removal method is to tap threads into the bushing (destroying the bushing) and then running a flat end bolt in to push against the case which in turn lifts the bushing out of the hole. Heating the case to about 300 degrees F makes extraction easy (very little force is needed).

#21 ·
No, it was an aftermarket cover. I did find the original Polaris cover and compared the bushing to the original in the Polaris cover. It appears to be the same. I assume whereas the old bushing in the case is worn, some of it has pushed out into the bevel by the looks of it. I will try to get the old one out of the case and see if the one I have will fit. Thank you for your insight. It is greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.