Wont Start Checklist - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Sent quad to shop. I don't know what part of "I need it to run reliably" they didn't understand. The oil, oil filter, spark and air filter were changed. Got it home, barely started to get it off the truck. It was running so I took it for a run of several miles. Next morning it started, iffy and that was the last time. On the invoice it says Note, it runs but no power, didn't look into cams? clutches? dono. What would they mean by no power? When I ran it down the road it was responsive and had lots of zip, more than I need or w ant. It's not a highway hauler. Any ideas? My feeling is it's electrical. I rely heavily on my quad as I inherited a lung disease and my quad enables me to get out and about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM

i have a 2004 preditor500 and it quit the other day when i was riding. the motor will not turn over and the wheels are frozen when i try to push start it. I turned the stater and the piston moves up and down and the wheels also move when i put it in gear and ratchet it but other that that nothing

Last edited by philio269; 03-28-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: mispelled words
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM

i have a 2004 predator 500 its geting grat spark and gas but only sputters when starting any sugges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 AM

455 diesel want start can any one help thanks
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

You really need to give us some more information as to what is happening when you tried to start it and what you have done to fix the issue.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM
ATV Enthusiast

It sounds like it is trying to start, then within a couple of seconds I get the raspberry sound. I've had the charger on the battery on trickle, then 12 volts. Nada. I don't dwell on the starter. I'm wondering about the solenoid but don't have the tools to check it. No point in taking it back to the high priced shop, besides I have to find someone to take it in and bring it home. My quad isn't a toy, it's my little work horse as I try to maintain an acreage. INRBigness, there are some challenging trails next to my property and I have about a hundred acres of wilderness yet 5 min from town. We're only 250km e of Wpg.
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Well start by taking a jumper cable and go from the starter lug right to possitive terminal on the battery or any good battery and see if it starts. If it does then use common sense and a meter and work back towards the battery. If it doesnt then its the starter must have a bad set of brushes in it.

To check the solonoid take the same jumper and then go to the solonoid. see what happens.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks I'll give it a try, after I find out where the starter is. I fix horse riding saddles, not vehicles.
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM

it is spraying fuel out of the injector but it four streams not much mist what could it be p.s. the cllander has good compreaion blows my finger out hard
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 AM

2006 Sportsman 500 HO starter won't turn

A few weeks ago my daughter very slowly rolled over my 2006 Sportsman 500 HO (she did not get hurt, it was a very slow roll). I did not witness but shortly thereafter the throttle went wide open and smoked like a banshee. My brother hit the kill switch and stopped the engine. We ended up towing it out of the woods with my 850 Sportsman.

Fast forward, we can start the engine with the pull starter but the electric starter will not turn over. The solenoid is good and I am getting power to the lug on the starter, but there is no sound or power dip when the ignition switch is turned to start. I suspect I need to remove starter. In looking at it it would appear I need to remove the PVT and inner cover. Is this correct?

I was hoping to not have to do that. Any tips?

2012 Sportsman 850 XP EPS - Viper Elite 3500
2006 Sportsman 500 HO EFI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in