Wont Start Checklist - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Wont Start Checklist

How to trouble shoot a no start issue

Okay so your quad does not start here is a logical step by step diagnosis to help determine what your problem may be. This guide is not meant to fix your issue just to help you determine what it is so you don’t throw away useless time and money. It is intended to help the person who has not had a lot of experience in fixing these issues. The seasoned mechanic knows these and the short cuts you can take while doing this stuff.
Something to consider: Occam’s razor says that the simplest solution is most likely the right one. If you hear hoof prints you should think Horses and not Zebra’s.

NO CRANKING:

You put the key on and it does not start:

1) Make sure the run switch is on

2) Make sure the quad is in Neutral

3) Make sure the battery is in good shape and fully charged

4) When you turn the key do you get a clicking from the solenoid

a. If you don’t hear a clicking then you have to make sure that you have power to the solenoid from the key switch. You can meter it from the thin wire on the solenoid. If you don’t then you have an issue in the switch.
b. If yes, then meter the contacts of the solenoid while turning over the key. You should have 12 volts on both sides. If you do not then clean both the terminals, reattach the wires and recheck. If you still don’t then replace the solenoid. Just because it clicks does not mean that it is working.
c. If you do, then you need to check voltage at the starter motor. Meter the wire lug on the starter and check to see if you have continuity from it to the solenoid lug that is not powered. If you do have continuity, then put a jumper cable directly to the battery positive terminal and touch it to the starter motor lug.

5) If it does not turn over then you need to pull the starter motor out and rebuild it. It will be one of three things: The brushes are broken or work out (most likely), the starter is rusty and filled with sludge and crap or that the magnets have become unwelded from the side of the starter case. The first two can be easily fixed with an inexpensive rebuild kit and a cleaning. The third makes the starter motor useless except for parts.

6) If it does turn over then your next step is make sure you have spark. Remove the plug and put it back in the spark plug boot and ground the tip on the motor and turn over and make sure you have a solid spark. If you don’t then you have an ignition problem. If you do have a spark then pour some gas down the spark plug hole and put back in the plug and see if it fires. If it does then you have a fuel issue.

7) If it wont start with the starter until the motor is warm then you likely have water in the starter that is either freezing and then thawing when motor warms up or until some of it is evaporating letting the brushes make contact with the armature or loosening up the bearings so that it spins easier. Either way it need to come apart.

Hopefully this will help some people figure out what direction to work toward.
carch4 and Thunderbear like this.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years

Last edited by InRBigness; 11-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Im dealing with the same problem on my 07 sportsman. A buddy rolled it and my speedometer is shattered.it has no glass window and no face with nubers on it and no needle on there.so I just removed it all together.I rode it for a year with no Speedo.when I realized the 4x4 didnt work,I plugged the usess Speedo BA k in.everything worked great.just didnt know how fast I was going or how much gas I had.last time I rode it, I came home and washed it,then drove it into garage and parked it. I came out into the garage the next day and noticed some led lights were lit up while it was sitting there with no key in the ingnition and the thumb switch was off. The Speedo was lit for a few days then finally all lights were turned off on the Speedo.I went out there a week ago and I dont have any power at all.no lights no winch no cranking, nothing. I have no hot power wire at key switch.I think when the circuit board in the Speedo cluster got wet and fried something.any suggestions?
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by InRBigness View Post
How to trouble shoot a no start issue

Okay so your quad does not start here is a logical step by step diagnosis to help determine what your problem may be. This guide is not meant to fix your issue just to help you determine what it is so you donít throw away useless time and money. It is intended to help the person who has not had a lot of experience in fixing these issues. The seasoned mechanic knows these and the short cuts you can take while doing this stuff.
Something to consider: Occamís razor says that the simplest solution is most likely the right one. If you hear hoof prints you should think Horses and not Zebraís.

NO CRANKING:

You put the key on and it does not start:

1) Make sure the run switch is on

2) Make sure the quad is in Neutral

3) Make sure the battery is in good shape and fully charged

4) When you turn the key do you get a clicking from the solenoid

a. If you donít hear a clicking then you have to make sure that you have power to the solenoid from the key switch. You can meter it from the thin wire on the solenoid. If you donít then you have an issue in the switch.
b. If yes, then meter the contacts of the solenoid while turning over the key. You should have 12 volts on both sides. If you do not then clean both the terminals, reattach the wires and recheck. If you still donít then replace the solenoid. Just because it clicks does not mean that it is working.
c. If you do, then you need to check voltage at the starter motor. Meter the wire lug on the starter and check to see if you have continuity from it to the solenoid lug that is not powered. If you do have continuity, then put a jumper cable directly to the battery positive terminal and touch it to the starter motor lug.

5) If it does not turn over then you need to pull the starter motor out and rebuild it. It will be one of three things: The brushes are broken or work out (most likely), the starter is rusty and filled with sludge and crap or that the magnets have become unwelded from the side of the starter case. The first two can be easily fixed with an inexpensive rebuild kit and a cleaning. The third makes the starter motor useless except for parts.

6) If it does turn over then your next step is make sure you have spark. Remove the plug and put it back in the spark plug boot and ground the tip on the motor and turn over and make sure you have a solid spark. If you donít then you have an ignition problem. If you do have a spark then pour some gas down the spark plug hole and put back in the plug and see if it fires. If it does then you have a fuel issue.

Hopefully this will help some people figure out what direction to work toward.
Nice checklist, so simple and clean!!
56666 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Stickied! Nice job

post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM

starting issues

I have a 1998 xplorer 400 that has not been used in two years, im trying to get it going, my sisters kids broke the key switch out of it is there anyway to bypass it with a toggle switch, was using a screw driver but it will not work anymore. also when i did have it running it has a horrible grind by my right foot, what could this be
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

The grind is either your Bendix or starter gear stuck in the out possition or parts of your recoil that have broke off.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Need so help. I have a 08 sportsman 800ho
Turns over but no spark.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

started up a 04 sportsman 400 4x4 that has been sitting for 2-3 years. i drained & changed all the fluids including gas. put on new fuel filter. it has spark, it wont start unless i spray some starting fluid into the air intake boot. even with it some what running, its sluggish & back firing, i removed the fuel line & cranked it over, to me it doesnt seem like very much fuel is being pumped from the fuel pump. im thinking about just replacing the pump & tearing down & cleaning/rebuilding the carb. any ideas?
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Polaris 500 HO won't start

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and I hope you all can help me. I have an '07 500 HO that will not start. It will turn over. I have drained the gas tank, cleaned the fuel valve (which did have a real gummy substance in the "on" side of the valve) and now have taken off the fuel pump to see if that could be the problem. The only other things I can think of is the carb or the fuel filter. Oh yeah, and one more significant note, it will run with a little Seafoam poured into the carb through the air filter intake. Any ideas will really be appreciate or simply that I am on the right track. Thanks!
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 AM

"07 Sportsman 500 HO

One other note, after looking online at parts it looks like it may be an '06. I do not have it here to check. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode