Polaris ATV Forum banner

HELP Rebuilt Motor Now WONT START , Polaris 6x6 500 2 stroke

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  speeddrive1 
#1 ·
ok this is what happened, after long day of work i drove the wheeler home, parked it, turned it off, next day went out, would not turn over, dragged it in garage, started to rip motor apart cause i thought it was siezed up cause it would not budge when pulled on pull starter, came down to the starter had broken and the head came into the flywheel and jammed it, BUT in the proccess of ripping the motor apart i found i had a break in the piston, so i went out bought a new piston and both new rings, and gaskets, put it all back together making sure the 2 stroke holes was in the proper spot when re assyembling the motor, now after its all back to gether, dang thing wont start, its got fuel, its got spark, it pushing me finger out the hole when pulling it over, i have even dumped gas down the spark plug hole and nothing, it just poors right out the exhaust pipe in front the motor, i am at a total loss here, i have rebuilt motors all my life (Classic Cars) but this dam thing has me stumped,

HELP I NEED IDEAS, WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG

*Broken Logger In The Woods With No Wheeler*

#4 ·
Not sure what "2 stroke holes" your talking about but did you orient the piston so the arrow on top pointed to the exhaust? I've seen a lot of guys who never built a 2 stroke before put the piston in backwards or get the top and bottom rings mixed up. They will sometimes try to run that way but not very well.
Have you actually checked compression to see what you have?

#6 ·
I have never heard of a 500 Polaris 2 stroke. I thought all 500's were 4 stroke.

#7 ·
havent checked the compression, but with my finger in the hole it is week to pushout, the one thing i was thinking was something i didnt do , like a dumbass i just bought a standard piston, this motor has over 3000 miles on it, and it did wobble a bit in the cylinder so i figured i would replace it, it still is a little wobbly, i think i should have it bored to the next size and have them do it with a .2 over or .3 over, cause i think the jug is over sized now..

but it should have at least still started, i dont think i put the rings in upside down, and another wierd thing was i could but the piston in from the bottum of the jug instead of the top, so i think my jug is larger then the stock piston, so maybe a bore and hone job with a new piston of correct size maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.