Polaris ATV Forum banner

2005 sportsman 500HO Stator help

16K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Russ C 
#1 ·
Hi there, i just picked up a new to me 05 500 HO, i was told by the previous owner that he thought the stator was gone, because it wasn't charging batteries. I have gone over the bike doing the tests in the manual. I just want to make sure that the stator is done.
I have found that these three yellow wires leading to the stator are all showing continuity to ground.( first pic)

Can anyone tell me if i am correct in saying that it is cooked?
It passed the other test of having 30-40vac between wires while running.

Also unrelated to the stator, can anyone tell me what these two connecters are for. they were both hanging loose covered with electrical tape.(second pic)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So, with the stator plug unplugged, ohming between the yellow wires to ground, you have continuity? Then it should be a bad stator. If you ohmed toward the PDM, no idea what it would read.

Sean

#4 · (Edited)
From my knowledge, they should all be open to ground, and about .5 ohms through each coil. Sounds like the PO was correct about having a bad Stator.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.