Polaris ATV Forum banner

03 Sportsman 600 will only run at idle

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cowslinger64 
#1 ·
I have a 03 Sportsman 600 that will only run at idle. When I try to accelerate it bogs, backfires, and dies. I recently replaced the crank seal, stator, magneto, cdi, coil, and voltage regulator. I have also cleaned the carb and replaced all the jets. It has a brand new battery, fresh oil change, and air filter. I am out of ideas, please help, its time to ride! Thanks.

#2 ·
adjust there throttle cable on the bars

#3 ·
If that thing sat all winter, I know it sounds too easy, but water in the gas tank will do the same thing. Even if you cleaned the carb, water will sink to the bottom of your tank and that's the first thing to burn. If our machines sit for a bit, I'll usually drain some gas out of the reservoir side, as it's the lowest part of the tank. Then run it for as long as I need to if it's sputtering. Let it idle, then slowly hit the throttle and try to keep it running. Keep doing that, and if it is water in your gas, it'll run smooth.. If you've tried that already, sorry. We've had to learn the hard way too..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.