95 polaris 400 pull rope not going back in - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

95 polaris 400 pull rope not going back in

Hi,

I have a 95 polaris 400 2 stroke, little backround on it. It use to bog down lots so it sat for about 2 years. I just recently pulled and cleaned the carb (thanks to the 'common carb issues') sticky. Also, added a new plug for good measure (and fresh 91 octane gas). So now my issue is the pull start rope wont go back in, before it would always recoil back in, however, sometimes when you went to pull on it it would just 'snap' back Or other times it wouldnt really want to come out at all. But now the full length of it is just out. O and the electric starter doesnt work. Kinda just makes a spiniing freely noise. Do you guys think it would need just a new recoil deal?

On a side note does anyone know how my clutch should be adjusted? When I did it I think I went to 1/8th free play but im not sure what I was doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

So I got my recoil housing off, jeez there was a lot of crap in there. The metal weight looking deal was free in there, seems like it broke off the inside piece. I was just playing with it and it comes out and goes back in nicely now.

I have determined that my starter drive doesnt like to engage, but I wasnt able to figure out how to get it out...does the starter need to be removed in order to get it out?

The starter drive itself does not move freely on its own i had to pull it out for it to turn the flywheel.

Anyone got any tips on getting the drive out without removing the flywheel?

95 polaris xplorer 4x4 400 2 stroke
94 polaris 300 2x4 2 stroke
93 7.3 n/a f250
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

anyone?....i took the bolt of the flywheel today but it didnt want to come out

93 7.3 n/a f250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

The starter drive comes out the other side when you remove the starter motor that you are going to take out and rebuild so you don't have to pull start it anymore.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

O okay thank you! i am able to pull the starter drive out by hand and get it to catch the flywheel and start the quad, and the drive goes in by itself. And sometimes the drive comes out itself to grab the flywheel and goes back in, but sometimes the starter drive doesnt come out at all. So do you think i just need a new starter drive? b/c the starteritself seems to be fine?

93 7.3 n/a f250
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Might try spraying some WD-40 or rust penetrant into the center of the drive. Sounds like it might just be corroded a little. Buddy

I know the "VOICES" aren't real but they have some great ideas.

1999 Sport 400 2x4
Complete rebuild w/Wiseco piston by Todd Kerby, Comet clutch, Swamplites front & rear, 03 Predator Rear Hubs,
ITP Pro Baja Wheels (4x156 front & rear), DG Front Bumper, Fuj Rear Grab Bars and RZR Belt
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

The factory lube has turned. Pull the recoil then disassemble the recoil spool and clean the dried grease, mud, and bugs out of the recoil assembly. DO NOT cut off the rope it's molded into the handle. If the rope is frayed replace it with the Polaris part because it's your housing seal. Make sure the tiny little ratchet pawl return spring hasn't turned to fine brown powder. I'm not sure I'd trust it if that ratchet spring has any rust.
Fight and curse to spool up the clean recoil spring in the clean cast housing. Spray light lithium or light moly grease on the recoil spring. Then re-assemble the spool and ratchet, cam, and washer to the housing with their own shots of grease.

The electric start motor spools up but doesn't engage... sounds like the Bendix is sticking. You can replace this when you clean and rehab the recoil assembly. Don't loose the thrust washer on the Bendix... It can stick to the recoil housing and then drop through the spaces between the barn floor planks... Don't ask.

Last edited by hatzie; 06-08-2013 at 06:56 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Starter or Bendix issue here as well

My 2007 sportsman 500 failed to crank today solinoid just clicks when you turn the key. Ruled out Batt. and connections are tight. I tried tapping on starter as I turned the key and finally the starter engaged briefly but sounded bad. You think its Bendix or Starter? Thanks so much for any help you could provide.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Starter motor brushes. Pull it out and pull the end off and you wlll see. It's easiest just to replace them.

12 Starfire Blue Sportsman 850XPHO LE EPS:
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM

thanks, just heard the same thing from my buddy. Ebay $27.99 best price I can find. Any sugestions? Thanks again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode