Replaced ignition kit but '03 sportsman still runs crappy - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Replaced ignition kit but '03 sportsman still runs crappy

We replaced the ignition kit on our 2003 polaris sportsman atv. It is better than it was only because it will start now. Followed enclosed instructions that came with the ignition kit. Machine will now start, idle and move, but when you give it gas it runs very unsteady and starts missing. New plugs have been installed, drained carborator. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

P.s. I have read through these other posts but can't seem to find the answer. I was hoping to get it up and running today if possible. Thanks in advance
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 AM

Any luck on your issue? Mine starts and idles fine but loses spark when the throttle is opened up causing it to backfire and die. I'm still running all stock components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

your symptoms sound like a carb issue to me, either stuck float(not enough fuel), or a clogged jet. I would pull the carb and clean it well, and check your float to make sure it is adjusted properly. There are plenty of rebuild kits available on ebay that are inexpensive and easy to do.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 AM

I put a spark checker inline and I can watch the light go out with throttle, and I've had the carb off several times and cleaned it and checked for boot leaks. Still leaning toward carb issue?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

When you took the carb off, did you have to drain the bowl(was it full?). The only reason i suggested carb was that I had the same backfire problem with my 700, and the issue was the float adjustment, it was starved for fuel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Yeah float bowl was full, originally my thought as well until I checked spark with engine running
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

So I guess next i would check the coil, but I've not had to check one of those on my machine, so I wouldn't be a good source of info on that. There might be someone on the forum who is better versed in the electrical aspect of the ignition system, have you searched the forum for other posts with a similar problem?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

the spark plug boots have resisters in them...and can go bad...did you have a faulty ignition before and had to get a new kit...if so may have damaged the resisters in the plug boots..its a shot in the dark ..I think they unscrew off the wire..if so unscrew and check the ohms to see if in spec...not sure off hand what the reading is suppose to be..manual out in garage...

2002 Sportsman 500HO
1987 Suzuki LT250 4x4 The Beast

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode