Polaris ATV Forum banner

Rear U joints.????

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2005, 600 twin with 620 miles. The machine is in excellent condition and was used by the P.O. to plow snow. i guess the forward - Reverse thing has taken the toll on the rear U joints as I notice a clunk when on - off throttle is done. I see that there is slop in the rear joint. Question, how much trouble is it to replace the rear U joint? Thanks in advance....

#2 ·
Drive out the pin that holds the forward-most yoke to the tranny, loosen the rear gearcase so you can pull it back a couple inches and the prop shaft will slide off the tranny shaft and then off the gearcase shaft. Then just replace the u joints with greaseable units and reverse the procedure for the install.
NAPA 338 is a good replacement u joint for around $20.
I usually do a little touch up with a small angle grinder on the inside surface of each yoke ear to make installing the snap rings easier.

#4 ·
I had to move my entire rear gear case on my 04. There was 4 bolts in the bottom, 4 or 5 long bolt thru the gear case, and 2 short ones that dont go all the way thru, I didn't think I could just loosen and move it back. Also had to unbolt the bottom of the shocks and the front of the lower A arm to get all the bolts out.

#5 · (Edited)
Now that you mention it snyper, you do have to remove the left side bolt on the strap #27 and the front left side lower a arm bolt so the front of the left a arm will drop down to get that long bolt out. Don't remember if the rear bolt has clearance or not. You also have to take the bottom of the left shock loose and rotate it up for clearance. That's why all the long bolts all come in from the left side too.
I usually try to time it so that I replace bushings while I've got it apart so I forgot those clearance issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.