Changing fluids - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Changing fluids

Don't want this to turn into another what type is best. The more I look the more I get confused. Obviously when I am looking the information may be different depending on year and particular ATV. I am going to try to keep this simple. I would like to buy my fluids if I can from a local auto parts/Walmart here in Ontario as opposed to the dealer if there is a tried and proven option.

For my 2011 sportsman 400HO:

Front Diff Polaris brand Demand Plus approximately 8/9 oz (will look at my manual for capacity), Have some already at home.

Engine oil, Mobile 1 0-40 is synthetic a must? approximately 2 L?

Rear Transmission, Polaris AGL ? Any other proven options for my specific ride? approximately 1 L?

I understand my options for filters and the possibility one that may be a little longer.

Thanks and Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I do use Mobil 1 0/40. Full synthetic is a must but can be had at walmart of Canadian Tire.
I do recommend sticking with the Polaris Demand Drive fluid as some report AWD engagement issues with any other fluid in the front diff.
Try this thread for known oil weights and possible AMSOIL replacements:
https://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...ricants-2.html

MINE:2015 Sportsman SP 850 Sunset Red
Back seat / cargo box and footpegs from Thor, Polaris 2500 Winch with synthetic rope, Polaris front and back bumpers, Polaris Lock-n-Ride Mid windsheild, Heated handgrips, Fender Flares, Rotax 2+2 Fuel Cans on front rack.

HERS:2015 Sportsman SP 850 Touring Sunset Red
Polaris 2500 Winch with synthetic rope, Polaris front and back bumpers, Polaris Lock-n-Ride Mid windsheild, Heated handgrips, Fender Flares

RIP Sarge (2004 Sportsman 700 EFI killed on trail 32, Rock House, Hatfield-McCoy)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Engine oil Mobile 1 0W40 or Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40

Transmission 5W20 motor oil Synthetic or non Synthetic

Front Gearcase Synthetic ATF

Oil Filter Pure 14610 or 14612 One is a liitle longer than the other but both work

The engine oil, tranny oil and oil filter can be found at Wal Mart. I have not seen synthetic ATF at the Wal Mart I shop at.
I have ran synthetic ATF in my front diff from the word go without one problem and people on this forum are running it also. Alot of RZR guys are running it as well.

Wal Mart also carries Castrol 0W40 now.

Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

The guys have summed it up nicely...

Download a free manual here...

Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/2012
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks

Thanks all, ended up getting the mobile 1 0-40 for 9 bucks a L. Last time I did a change I had a Fram PH6017a filter, didn't seem to have any issues. Front diff still have a bottle from Polaris will use that up first only needs 9 oz. Bought the AGL from Polaris for the rear wasn't to bad 16 bucks. Maybe next time I will venture and try something different.

For fun while getting the rear oil I asked what the kit went for which I think is "2 liters of polaris oil and a filter" $71.00??? my hearing is not that good but I am pretty sure that what he said.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode