2004 Sportsman 500 HO speedo - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

2004 Sportsman 500 HO speedo

Hi all,

I have done numerous research on this forum but could not find anything with the same issues I have. Everything works on my speedo other than the needle itself and the miles. AWD does work. I was riding the quad and my speedo needle began to jump from 0-10. I put it in reverse and the quad shut down. Started it back up and the quad would go in reverse with the override button pressed. Also, with the needle jumping, it began to count the trip miles as well. 24 hours later I started it back up and the needle no longer jumps, but the needle does move and it does not calculate the trip miles any longer. Should I replace the wheel sensor?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Can't say for sure but sounds like it may be the Hall sensor. I had one a couple years ago that would SOMETIMES jump around in reverse and when it did it had no AWD in reverse and the override wouldn't work. Everything was normal in D. Replacing the sensor fixed all issues.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM
mvn
Polaris ATV Junkie!

^^^^^Agreed. Sounds like the Hall sensor.

Mark

2012 850HO Touring EPS Pearl White
27" ITP Blackwater Evolution radials on 14" ITP Black Ops wheels
Ricochet skid plates & A-arm guards
Rubberdown 1 1/2" lift
Cecco frame braces
JC Capri bushings
Rotopax fuel packs on custom mounts
Garmin 60CSx with Ram mount
Polaris 2500# winch with synthetic rope
Polaris front & rear brush guards
Polaris bar & thumb heaters
Polaris passenger grip heaters
NGK (6043) ILZKAR7A10 plugs

Good, fast, cheap.....pick 2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Agreed. ^^^^^
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Agreed x3 ^^^^^^^
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 AM

I'm having a similar issue with mine as well.. 2001 sportsman 500 HO

speedo lights up but the needle and miles no longer work. AWD works great in D but in R it doesn't work unless I use the override button. Do you think my issue may be with the Hall effect sensor as well?

Thanks in advance!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Steve_mac it sounds like the speed sensor is your problem. Having to use override button is how it should work. It's a safety system so you can't go full power and lock up AWD untill u hold button. Some people will eliminate it but it's better to leave it alone if it's working.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_gillies View Post
Steve_mac it sounds like the speed sensor is your problem. Having to use override button is how it should work. It's a safety system so you can't go full power and lock up AWD untill u hold button. Some people will eliminate it but it's better to leave it alone if it's working.
I'll definitely look into the Speed sensor. Do you think cleaning it would help or should I just replace it ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

No Needle, no odometer, everything else works in the pod

Just wondering if you resolved the problem. My 08 500 EFI started doing something similar today. My needle stopped working, the odo doesn't rack up miles but all the other electronics work, except ADC, because it won't work without the speedo anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnellis View Post
Hi all,

I have done numerous research on this forum but could not find anything with the same issues I have. Everything works on my speedo other than the needle itself and the miles. AWD does work. I was riding the quad and my speedo needle began to jump from 0-10. I put it in reverse and the quad shut down. Started it back up and the quad would go in reverse with the override button pressed. Also, with the needle jumping, it began to count the trip miles as well. 24 hours later I started it back up and the needle no longer jumps, but the needle does move and it does not calculate the trip miles any longer. Should I replace the wheel sensor?

Thanks

2015 Sportsman 850 SP Sunset Red
EPS, ADC, EBS, 2500lb winch, mid windshield

(sold) 2008 Sportsman 500 H.O. EFI Limited - Boardwalk Blue
EFI, EBS, ADC, synthetic Winch, Glacier Plow, Guru Brush Guards, 3 light kit, Work Light Kit and Heat Demon Grips

600 mile ATV TRIP - Crossing Newfoundland by ATV
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 AM

My 04 600 cluster all works but the speedo needle don't move. I had the quad on jacks stands and put in gear and at slow speed the rear tires turn and then when i rev more all 4 turn fine. I put it in 4wd and all 4 turn just fine and when i ride it seems okay but no speedo needle moving. Can I clean the wheel sensor maybe? I can't find a new on online anywhere under $65

How can I test for it? Can I just drive it and see if the mileage goes up and then if it does just replace the hall sensor or will that test not be good enough?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
speedo, speedometer not working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode