!999 Sportsman 500 starting problem - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

!999 Sportsman 500 starting problem

I have a 1999 Sportsman 500 and a 1999 Magnum 500, both 4x4. The Magnum starts and runs fine and I use it as a base line and parts trying to figure out problem with the Sportsman.
The Sportsman will not turn over or start. Using a voltmeter and comparing results with the Magnum the problem is with the key turned on and the switch (on-off, headlight switch) in the "on" position but not pushed up to start. On the Sportsman, I'm getting a voltage reading from the cable coming from the starter motor (even when not connected to the starter solenoid) of around 2-3 violts. On the magnum it it zero. The battery, the battery terminal on the starter solenoid and the red wire going into the voltage regulator all read 13 Volts. Also I have disconnected the little red wire coming out of the starter solenoid.
I have swapped out the "on-off headlght switch", the starter solenoid and the CDI unit with the Magnum. The Magnum continues to start and run without any problems and the Sportsman contines to have the same problem.
I also notice if I disconnect either of the fittings on the "on-off, headlight switch" the voltage reading drops to zero. Headlights do not work.
Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid taking the stator out until I'm sure its not something else.

Update: I located wiring harness that goes to the recoil starter housing. I disconnected all of the wires except the brown wire going to the coil. No change, still get voltage reading round 3. volts at the starter. When I disconnect the brown wire at the coil the voltage reading drops to .25 - .3 volts but still don't understand how there is any voltage reading at the starter leads since all wires leading to it are disconnected.

Last edited by Barmstr507; 04-10-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Update info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode