Bad Gas - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Bad Gas

Hi - I'm new to the forum but not ATV's. I have an '06 Sportsman that I'm having trouble with and need some help. It set in my shop too long with a bad battery and I didn't start way to long and didn't treat the gas. When I did get the battery replaced, I started and run with bad gas - like a DA, did not drain and now I can't get started. It's definitely a fuel delivery system issue as I can start with a "gas rag". I have since drained the tank, replaced and treated the gas. Still no go. So next I pulled the injector and cleaned thoroughly and still no luck. When I turn on the key, I hear the fuel pump, but no fuel through the injector. I am getting gas through injector during the start cycle (as the engine tries to crank) but not steady; it sprays a little first and then another "blast" about 2/3's through the crank cycle . It appears I'm only getting spray from maybe two holes, but not all four? I don't mind springing for a new injector if I know that's the fix, but want to throw out the problem here and see if I get any hits before spending money to start replacing parts w/o thorough troubleshooting? Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thx - Cris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:13 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
I would check (and probably replace) the rubber fuel lines from the fuel pump to the rail. Depending on how long the gas sat, and blend of gas (ethanol), the rubber fuel lines may have began to deteriate...leaving you with small chunks of rubber/trash in the fuel line to clog the injectors.

Next, I would check fuel pressure to rule out the pump. Just because it's operating, doesn't mean it's operating correctly. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, there are a few threads on here on how to build a simple and inexpensive gauge. I think pressure should be in the 39psi range, but double check that.

If the pump tests good, and you have good fuel lines, then you are left with the injectors. I know a few people that have had good luck cleaning the injector screens, but not me. I usually just replace the injectors.

08 Sportsman 800 Touring- EPI clutch turning 27" Mega Mayhems, 2500lb Polaris winch, front & rear SATV brush guards, front rack extender, 3 headlight Mod, Quadovator temp gauge, RAC Engineering reverse/ work lights, EBC brakes, Triangle ATV Stealth Snorkels, RDC radiator relocation kit, ATVtrailtunes split tube system, 12" Totron LED lightbar

08 RZR 800- 11 front end conversion w/ LED headlights, Dakota Digital dash, SATV +6 offset long travel kit, Rhino axles, 900XP shocks, 900 front hub/ brake conversion, QSC clutch turning 30" Carnivores, 3500lb Polaris winch, EMP 1/2 windshield, Air box relocation w/ custom snorkels, BoeschBuilt parking brake, dual Venom LED whips, 30" Totron LED lightbar, 6 1/2" Kickers & NOAM 10" subwoofer powered by NOAM 4ch amp

05 Scrambler 500- Polaris rear rack, Bear Claw tires, 12" LED bar, 2x3 OPT7 cubes (the wife's bike)

Grandkids- 05 Eton Viper 90R, 93 Yamaha PW50, 03 Yamaha PW50, 09 Kawasaki KLX 110- (They're killing me, lol)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Welcome from Maine! BTW, you might even want to flush the gas tank. When I bought my Arctic Cat it gave me fits until I pumped out the gas tank into a clean 5 gallon pail. In the bottom (reserve area) was a vile black crud. Fricking ethanol gas!

2001 Arctic Cat 500 manual shift. 7,000 miles 30" Mudzillas , 5 degree timing advance ,Web 228 race cam,K&N, AEM wideband, drilled and clipped, Dynojet needle,muffler mod, rear sway bar,Warn 3000 winch, Trail Tech Voyager. 1996 Polaris Sportsman 400l , 2002 AC 400 FIS manual shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 AM

I've been having problems with mine and am going to drain and clean my fuel tank. Will follow up on what I find in it. 2004 Sportsman 700
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 AM

Hose was so tight I broke the plastic nipple on the valve after I cut the gas line. Someone must've glued it on with epoxy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

No matter what you finally have to do to make the injector work, start using ethanol free gas from now on. All it is going to do is give you headaches and unnecessary repair work. I switched to ethanol free gas, for all my small engine equipment two years ago, and since then have not had one carb/injector problem. I will never go back, as long as it is still available.

I can Explain it to you, I can't Understand it for you.

2012 Sportsman 500 HO Limited Edition in Camo
Front/Rear brush guards
Front/rear rack extenders
Rear Lock 'n Ride storage box
Lock 'n Ride Gun boot and mount
Garmin Rino Handlebar mount
2500 lb winch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode