Polaris ATV Forum banner

07 800 Sportsman Shutting Down (help!!!)

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  1dirtypopo 
#1 ·
Have a 07 800 Sportsman with 67 hours on the clock. Every now and then whilst ridding, the bike just stops!!

Bike stops and instrument cluster goes 'dead', turn the key off and back on and instrument cluster is back on, put the bike in neutral and it starts and runs fine?

The above has only happened to me three times and i have always managed to recover as above, big concern is that i am taking the bike to some really remote locations and if i have a failure that i cannot recover from i am in real trouble.

Have fitted a new battery, but problem is still there.

Many thanks in advance for any possibel advice.

#3 ·
Welcome. It sounds to me as a loose connection or a corroded connection. The new battery I hope is staying charged. Be sure to check all connections, even in the light pod.Intermitant connections are always the hardest to find. Good luck, Hope this helps

#4 ·
i have the same problem from my 05 sportsman 500 carb. all my conections are good, nothing corroded- the thing is mint. i tired switching to 93 octain but it didnt help. it usually happens to me when i run it hard then go around at lower rpms. i called the dealer and they say they have no idea what it could be. it doesnt seem to be running rich or lean either. if anyone knows where to go from here, let me know too!!! thank you!

#5 ·
I had the same problem with my 06 700 efi. In the front storage box there is a set of four breakers. The breakers look like fuses and plug into a fuse block. I had a problem with one of them coming loose. Next time it shuts down tap the breakers and see if it comes back to life. I ran a zip tiearound them so they wouldn't move or get loose and its been fine ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.