Trail Boss Carb rebuild.. - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Exclamation

OK guys,
I have this week off from work. SO on my first day off I got right out in the garage and tore into the Trail Boss!!

No problems and about three hours time. I also fixed a hot trigger wire on my recent winch mount, rebuilt my headlight, adjusted the valves and changed plug and fuel filter.
The winch was accidentally hooked to the tail brake light. (oops) and the head light had all its springs removed. I got new bolts and springs in that Babbits order.
The PO installed the completely wrong plug!! It was a 13/16" head that was a bugger to get out as a socket will not even fit for the design of the head. Luckily I had a crows foot wrench and that did the trick!!

The carb boots looked great. The rebuild was easy as pie. Just took everything apart. Sprayed it out, brushed it a bit and blew everything out with compressed air then reassembled. Everything went back together perfectly. I did find two other problems. The rubber mount at the carb was broken and the fuel bowl drain was/is bad. Just the screw, it will not stop fuel flow. SO my thought that the needle and seat was bad wasn't the case at all.
Also I found that the thumb throttle was not properly adjusted and causing the engine to stall at idle.

With everything back together it was time for a test ride. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! It started up and idled nicely after just a quick adjust of the idle screw. Its got more power and runs much smoother, but still drips at the fuel bowl.

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Hey Manaen,, Hope you do not mind me interupting this thread,, but I need some advice. I copied your post to cwlongshot on the carb rebuild and plan to do that soon as I can get to it this week. I have a 1990 Trail boss 250 that has started to give me fits. Last week, we went on an Elk hunt at 8500 ft. elevation and my machine was really blowing the blue smoke really bad. I live at 3600 ft. elevation so there was a pretty good difference in elevation and am not sure that should have effected the carb that much,,,?? I tried opening the air adjustment screw but it did not seem to make a difference and acted like the choke was stuck , would hardly idle with the throttle wide open. It finally stopped. I dissambled carb and did not find any obvious problem, I removed the choke and it started and ran kinda decent but would not rev up all the way. The engine was actually trying to blow the choke brass plug " OUT " of its port,,,!!! I could feel pressure trying to blow the little plug out,,,!!! Is this normal? What could be the problem? I have tried to start since we got back from mountains but has yet to start. Any help? Thank you for your time. Joe r
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjoe View Post
Hey Manaen,, Hope you do not mind me interupting this thread,, but I need some advice. I copied your post to cwlongshot on the carb rebuild and plan to do that soon as I can get to it this week. I have a 1990 Trail boss 250 that has started to give me fits. Last week, we went on an Elk hunt at 8500 ft. elevation and my machine was really blowing the blue smoke really bad. I live at 3600 ft. elevation so there was a pretty good difference in elevation and am not sure that should have effected the carb that much,,,?? I tried opening the air adjustment screw but it did not seem to make a difference and acted like the choke was stuck , would hardly idle with the throttle wide open. It finally stopped. I dissambled carb and did not find any obvious problem, I removed the choke and it started and ran kinda decent but would not rev up all the way. The engine was actually trying to blow the choke brass plug " OUT " of its port,,,!!! I could feel pressure trying to blow the little plug out,,,!!! Is this normal? What could be the problem? I have tried to start since we got back from mountains but has yet to start. Any help? Thank you for your time. Joe r

air adjustment screw? are you sure that wasnt the idle jet? if you can tell me what you have for a carb i can help out - i have no clue what you are working on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjoe View Post
Hey Manaen,, Hope you do not mind me interrupting this thread,, but I need some advice. I copied your post to cwlongshot on the carb rebuild and plan to do that soon as I can get to it this week. I have a 1990 Trail boss 250 that has started to give me fits. Last week, we went on an Elk hunt at 8500 ft. elevation and my machine was really blowing the blue smoke really bad. I live at 3600 ft. elevation so there was a pretty good difference in elevation and am not sure that should have effected the carb that much,,,?? I tried opening the air adjustment screw but it did not seem to make a difference and acted like the choke was stuck , would hardly idle with the throttle wide open. It finally stopped. I dissembled carb and did not find any obvious problem, I removed the choke and it started and ran kinda decent but would not rev up all the way. The engine was actually trying to blow the choke brass plug " OUT " of its port,,,!!! I could feel pressure trying to blow the little plug out,,,!!! Is this normal? What could be the problem? I have tried to start since we got back from mountains but has yet to start. Any help? Thank you for your time. Joe r
Sorry Joe, I cannot offer any advice. I live on the east coast and don't or haven't had any real elevations to adjust for. I do know it makes quite a difference.
Hopefully Cookies will have the answers you need!

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Sorry guys I was on a two week excursion in the swamps of North Carolina. Beating my trial boss and chasing some whitetails.

Quote:
Is this normal? What could be the problem?
umm nope its not normal. When you go higher in elavation your engine will run too rich due to the low oxygen content in the air. Turning the idle mixture screw will not fix the problem you need to adjust both the needle and the main jet. Down 1 or 2 sizes on the jet and move the C clip up one notch on the needle. Sounds like your engine was running very rich. That is not an air adjustment screw it is an idle mixture screw. by turning it out you made the mixture even richer which caused the engine to run worse. You probably ended up fouling the plug with will eventually cause the engine to stop running(as you found out). If you routinely go between those two elevations you can jet the motor so it is a compromise between the two. I suspect your engine is currently jetted richer then it needs to be. Which is what caused to extreme richness when you went higher. You should probably also check to make sure your float is setup properly. Also pull your plug and check and see if it is burnt black and sooty. This is an indication that you are running way too rich.

Get your carb cleaned and your mixture correct and then we will see about the other problems with the choke. Oh when you remove and reinstall your carb make sure all the cables are adjusted properly. It is possible that your choke cable is out of adjustment which caused it to run even richer. Also your brass choke valve should slide freely through the entire bore on the carb body. Make sure there is no oxidation or glaze that will cause the choke to stick.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Thanks guys.

I checked manufacturers supply, nothing listed for the 2000/2001 TB... Babbits shows nothing either.

I sent a Email to both so hopefully someone will have something for me.

CW
I found a carb kit through ebay motors. I bought one thru a company in northern Idaho but i saw several in different parts of the US.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by just me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Thanks guys.

I checked manufacturers supply, nothing listed for the 2000/2001 TB... Babbits shows nothing either.

I sent a Email to both so hopefully someone will have something for me.

CW
I found a carb kit through eBay motors. I bought one thru a company in northern Idaho but i saw several in different parts of the US.
WELCOME JM!!

I looked on EBay when I did this and it want not offered. (Things change daily) But good news you found one there. I use it allot and usually always look there first...

As a matter of fact, I still needed some bowl drain line. (Fuel line) and found it on EBay and ordered it this AM...

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode