Trail Boss Carb rebuild.. - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Exclamation Trail Boss Carb rebuild..

Evening guys,
I need to rebuild the carb on the 2001 325cc Polaris Trail Boss.

I believe I have a bad float/miss adjusted float level or most likely a bad needle and or seat. At idle I have fuel dripping from the overflow at the base of the carb. At speed it stops.

Where on line can I get a rebuild kit?

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Anyone know where I can get a rebuilding kit online?

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

try manufacturers supply..............i got a complete kit, jets and all for $17. plus freight
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Thanks guys.

I checked manufacturers supply, nothing listed for the 2000/2001 TB... Babbits shows nothing either.

I sent a Email to both so hopefully someone will have something for me.

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Babbits has all the oem parts, what do you really need for your carb? most the time the only things that can go bad are the bowl seal and the float/needle/seat assembly everything else can usually be cleaned and returned to service. Honestly in the 20+ years I've been working/riding/racing motorcycles and atvs I have only ever replaced one float needle/seat. the biggest replacement item is the bowl seal and it is cheap, and thats only because it sometimes will tear on bowl removal. 99% of problems with mikuni carbs (especially non CV carbs) are related to gas varnish from sitting around. This is easily cleaned by disassembling the carb and cleaning it with carb cleaner an air compressor and some fine nylon brushes (old toothbrush). be sure to blow out and check all the idle ports and jets those are the problem areas. Then remove the float and clean the needle/seat assembly very well with a soft cloth.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Thanks for the tips!

My problems are poor idle but fine with choke on. Gass coming out the overflo at idle but appears to completely stop at higher RPMs. When riding after running down a hil, it will stumble for a few seconds then clear out.

My guess is needle and/or seat, float and or float level. For the stumbling, and idle I agree with you, maybe one of the air ports.

I believe this is a CV carb. at least some of the litrature reads that this is a 31MM CV carb. Of coarse I could be completely wrong. Im new to ATV's.

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

take the bowl off and remove the idle(low speed) jet. Then blow carb cleaner directly into the hole where the idle jet came from you should see it coome out of a few tiny ports in the engine side of the carb. Immediately after blowing carb cleaner through take an air compressor and blow directly into the same low speed jet hole. You should repeat this a few times each time looking at the flow coming through the ports. Then take your low speed jet and look real close at the openings they should be round and perfectly clear. Take some carb clean and blow through each of the holes in the jet then use the compressor and blow it off (hold onto that thing tight so you don't blow it across your garage... been there done that!!). Most of the time idle problems lie in this jet. Next remove the idle mixture screw and blow through it with carb cleaner and air. When re-assembling it turn it in all the way and then out 1 1/2 turns (don't tighten it too hard!! or it will damage the screw and the seat).The next thing you need to do is remove the float by pulling the pin that slides into the carb body. Be careful when removing this there is a tiny spring clip that holds the needle to the float arm don't lose it. Clean the mating surfaces of the needle and the needle seat. next check your needle to make sure the spring inside it moves freely. If it does not spray it with carb cleaner and work it in and out with your fingers this will usually clean it out and allow it to flex again. Then reinstall the parts and check your float level. Stock setup on most mikuni carbs is the float tab set parallel with the bowl flange. So when you hold the carb upside down your float tab (the brass lever the floats use to close the needle) should be perfectly parallel with the flat surface that the float bowl mates to. if it is not parallel then take a small screw driver and adjust it by bending the brass tab until the float arm is parallel. Now remove the main jet and spray it with carb cleaner, again viewing the hole to make sure it is perfectly clean and round. In the worst cases I use a piece of fine brass or copper wire to run through the holes to clear them out, or just the bristle of your brush. Now finally before you put the bowl back on take your brush and clean out all the gunk that is dried in there. If it is heavily varnished spray it down it carb cleaner and allow it to dry and it will rub right off like a powder. The most important thing is an eye for detail blow through all the small holes that you see and look for the carb cleaner to flow through freely. Not only will it clean your carb it will also give you a good understanding of how this seemingly complex peice of equipment is very basic and easy to understand.

Last edited by Manaen; 09-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Thank you very much for the explanation!!!

I have rebuilt a couple Carter and Holley car carburetors, just never a bike carb. I know they are a bit simpler. I didn't realize they where that simple!!

I'll order the bowl seal, pick up a couple cans of carb clean and dive in once it arrives!!! I have a gallon of carb clean as a dunk/soak tank too if I really need to clean any parts.

Thank you again!!

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

I still cannot find the exact parts I need, BUT I took a shot tonight with Babbits. I have three choices with what model 2000 Trail Boss I own. Apparently there are three different possibilities......

Good news is they got me for a bunch of Lil things I needed... 100 bucks later I got the gasket, needle and seat I went there to order.

Thanks for the tips guys. Its gonna be at least two weeks. (Looks like SLOW shipping) I'll be sure to post up the results.

CW

Mine

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride rear box
LOTS more coming...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode