Polaris ATV Forum banner

2001 Polaris Scrambler Oil Gas Mix?

16K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fngboy 
#1 ·
Would like to know if anyone knows of any problems un hooking the oil injection on a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4? My approach was to drain tank and pinch off hose to carb from pump.
Most I have asked have suggested 40:1 to as high as 32:1.
At this point I have very difficult starting and lots of white smoke, poor or no idle without stalling. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Mike

#2 ·
I unhooked the hose to the carb and drained the oil tank. I have been mixing my oil at anywhere from 32:1 to 50:1 for the last few years and it works great! As for the white smoke and poor running it could be a head gasket maybe?

#6 ·
90 or less and you begin to have starting issues.
the white smoke could be a head gasket or a water pump seal, you might want to take off the exhaust pipe and peek into the cylinder, if the walls are scratched up , then it's time for a top-end

#7 ·
piston

you should probably get the cylinder bored and put a piston in it. I just did a 2001 400 scrambler and .020 over barely cleaned up the cylinder. when the bore gets wore out the piston starts slapping and breaks off the skirt and the next time the crank comes around bang you got a hole in the bottom of the case.

We were very lucky the machine was being rode very slowly when the skirt broke. It just killed the motor and locked it up.

good luck Jh

#9 ·
your in MN

I am in shakopee. I sell powersports parts on ebay. search by seller jhpowersports or my website Home
I got WSM brand top end rebuild kits for the 400 $120.
they come in std-1mm overbore.
the one we just did was the first time it was rebuilt and we had to go to .50mm over.
thanks JH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.