1996 Polaris 500 Sportsman Carb Issues - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

1996 Polaris 500 Sportsman Carb Issues

Been reading the forms and some great tips on maintenance. I have been having problems with my 500 and gas leaking out of the carb overflow tube. I want to clean the carb and fix the leaking gas. Started the project today and ran into some issues.

1. How do you remove the throttle cables on the carb? Everything else is off and need to get these cables off.

2. Where is the plastic seal that is causing the overflow gas leak? I have no rubber seal when I pulled the cover off. Only a set screw that is cranked all the way in.

3. Is this normal - took pictures of how the carb looks now. Should the covers not be closed?

Anything to help as the leaking is a daily issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

I was able to get the carb off and cleaned. I noticed my overflow needle uses a metal washer instead of plastic. 3rd picture with the round flat head screw. Should I put in a plastic washer instead? I don't want to reassembly and have the same issue with gas pouring out the overflow tube.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:32 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Your gas overflow is most likely caused by a leaking needle/seat which is under the pivot of the float.

The best remedy for this is a carb kit. You can get them fairly cheap on eBay.

Your carb will not be cleaned until you remove all the jets and clean the internal passage ways and blow them out with compressed air. Be sure you have an assembly diagram to go by or make pics/notes when you disassemble.

Be sure to check your float level before you put the bowl back on. If it's not correct you will still end up with gas overflow or no gas overflow but a low gas level in the float bowl causing a lean run condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the seat and seal. Put everything back on and fired up tonight. At idle the engine stalls out. When I apply a little throttle, revs to high to put in gear. Needs to be in gear while engine is off to drive now. Start up and take off, runs strong - better then before. Let the gas off and engine stalls out again. I only drove for a couple minutes - could air still be in the system? Also backfires when engine cuts off. This was not a problem before. What is causing the lean condition? How do you tell if the float level is not correct? Looked fine when I put everything back together.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Did you remove and clean the pilot jet and main jet (or hopefully replace them with the kit)?
Did you clean the carb body passages while you had the jets removed?

It sounds as though you have a lean-run condition. This could be caused by incorrect float level, restrictions in jets/passages or restricted fuel supply (fuel valve or fuel pump).

I don't have the model carb you have so I can't provide a detailed float setting procedure. You will have to get a service manual for that or maybe someone here with the same model can chime in.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by martman45 View Post
... What is causing the lean condition? How do you tell if the float level is not correct? ...
Probably the float level. Here is some a step by step with pics that may help with this and the overall rebuild. Luck and let us know how it goes.

The BST-40 Bible | Adventure Rider

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4789 miles
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1417 miles 189hrs
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

I think my float is good. Was able to fix the lean condition by adjusting the set screw on the carb. No more backfire. But the engine kept stalling after releasing the throttle switch. The switch felt a little loose so I opened the cover and noticed two metal connections. When the switch was released the connections came together and stalled the quad. While I was trying to adjust the switch the spring popped off and kept the connections from coming together. Quad runs great now. Not sure if this was a safety cut off.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:09 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Glad you got it going!

That's the EPC switch...
Here's an excellent YouTube video on adjusting it:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode