Michigan ORV Trails - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Trails Talk about new atv trails, trail conditions, and enviro effects on our trails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Michigan ORV Trails

I've been riding the ORV trails in Michigan for decades, mostly on dirt bikes, but in recent years there have been strides to widen them for quad and side x side use... With that said, they currently have over 3,800 miles of ORV trails and routes available, and just about all of the counties in northern Michigan above Saginaw, MI have legal riding on the shoulder of county roads with permit (under 25 mph) to get from one trail system to another and to travel into towns for gas, supplies, and lodging (check before riding).
A State bill was recently passed to add riding on State Forest roads starting in 2017, which is a plus to adding more options to where you want to explore.
If you never been to Michigan, there has never been a better time to see the Great Lake State from the saddle of your ATV.
DNR - ORV/ATV
Yes, I'm bias to our trail system, but the positive results throughout the years has evolved into an experience all can enjoy.

Last edited by 4ReelMoto; 11-20-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I concur. I am the president of one on the ORV clubs in Michigan that maintain the trails. Our club is the ATV Offroad Club of Michigan. We maintain the Black Lake trails and route, Red Bridge Trail and route, Bummers Roost trails, and the MCCCT from Indian River to Atlanta. A couple of our other trail members maintain the Leota trails and the new short route there.

2016 Scrambler XP1000

-Original Bighorns
-Garmin Montana 610
-Heat Demon hand grips
-Polaris Ogio rear bag
-Kolpin fuel pack jr.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
I concur. I am the president of one on the ORV clubs in Michigan that maintain the trails. Our club is the ATV Offroad Club of Michigan. We maintain the Black Lake trails and route, Red Bridge Trail and route, Bummers Roost trails, and the MCCCT from Indian River to Atlanta. A couple of our other trail members maintain the Leota trails and the new short route there.
Hello, Very green to quading......just picked up my first one yesterday.....question, are snowmobile trails legal to ride on? I'm near Glennie, when I plan on riding......thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	63809  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
Nice to meet you, thanks for all you do to maintain the trails, that's quite a few! My first experience at what's involved to maintaining the trails was in 2002, when myself a few riding buddies joined the Genesee Valley Trail Riders club, the trails they maintained was Mio & Hunt Creek, plus the connector trail up to Atlanta (my buddies and I covered the connector trail), until the club dissolved later that decade. One of my fondest memories was when our club was responsible for marking the Black Lake and Bummers Roost area for the annual Six Days of Michigan, I believe it was in 2006, awesome trails.
There obviously has been many changes since then, to which I'll say thanks again to you and all the clubs that maintain the trails!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Hello Deweydaddy, congrat's on the new touring quad! Here is a link that explains the trails which are open for ATV riding; DNR - Where to ride
You will first have to purchase an ORV License and also an ORV Trail Permit; DNR - ORV License Structure FAQs
Also, if you would like to support the grassroots behind the wonderful ORV trail systems we have here in Michigan, you can become a member of the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan; The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan They have events which include ATV's as well.
Glennie is a beautiful area, riding the Bull Gap ORV trails and Huron Trail would be a great way to break in your new machine (however, you'll have to wait for the firearm deer season to end, December 1st the trails will be open again). Happy Trails!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ReelMoto View Post
Hello Deweydaddy, congrat's on the new touring quad! Here is a link that explains the trails which are open for ATV riding; DNR - Where to ride
You will first have to purchase an ORV License and also an ORV Trail Permit; DNR - ORV License Structure FAQs
Also, if you would like to support the grassroots behind the wonderful ORV trail systems we have here in Michigan, you can become a member of the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan; The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan They have events which include ATV's as well.
Glennie is a beautiful area, riding the Bull Gap ORV trails and Huron Trail would be a great way to break in your new machine (however, you'll have to wait for the firearm deer season to end, December 1st the trails will be open again). Happy Trails!
Thanks, I'll read it later......just came in from the garage....feel like a kid again!!!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Always good to hear positive comments about the Michigan ORV trail system. Michigan has many great trails, roadways and two tracks to venture out on. Go north of the bridge and you'll find a even wider range of adventures. I appreciate all the work and information the the clubs do and offer, they do a great job.

It would be nice to see some public trails for quads and SxS in the southwestern or south eastern area's. Currently the Baldwin area is the closest point of riding for us south of that area. State forest roads will be opened in coming years through out Michigan, but it will still be up to the local townships to approve what is legal or not. I find all to often when riding that many approved roads will be open but then you find yourself on a road to no where and all of a sudden it's posted closed. Coming to a T intersection and you have to turn around because left or right is not legal is very frustrating and confusing at the same time.

Michigan is a great place to ride thanks to money, Pure Michigan and social media but rider beware.

Last edited by kzooatv; 12-04-2016 at 05:14 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:02 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Been a big snowmobiler for years. getting into atv riding to. Have not rode in two years now, just to busy. I have rode eastern U.P. on atv and all over the state on snowmobile. Atv riding is a little tricking and a map of where you can ride is a good thing to have. Good to here more areas and rodes are open to atv's.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM

I'm in northwest Indiana and I'm always looking for some new trails. What would be a good trail to try out that's reasonable close. 2 maybe 3 hours from southwest Michigan Indiana border
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 AM
ATV Enthusiast

To my knowledge the Baldwin area is the closest public area to legally ride, check the MI DNR page for trail names in that area. From the Kalamazoo area it's about 2.5 - 3 hours away, but very doable for a single day run. There's 5 trail systems in that area that are connected. Weekends are usually very busy with SxS, cycles, quads and occasional jeep or truck. There is even a ORV friendly camp ground in Carrieville on the trail system. I personally don't care for this area because it is so busy but it is a nice system.

If you travel one more hour north to the Kalkaska system you'll find a much larger area to ride and easily spend a entire weekend and not come close riding anything twice. Once you get on the Kalkaska system you can hook up to several other trail systems either via trails or county roads. Having a good map, GPS and compass are recommended.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Trails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode