Started a new project this week. - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Visual & Body Modifications Post any visual modifications you have done to your ATV vehicle here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Started a new project this week.

Got almost everything I need to make my audio tube. I'm going with a 3 speaker set up with polk audio mm651 speakers and a sound stream 4 channel 520w amp.

Instead of wiring it to the cigarette outlet I'm going to hard wire it into the batter and have a plug in by the front rack. The amp will still be inside the tube. This will allow me to actually pull the power needed from the battery to run somewhere between 120w and 130w per channel. Running off the cig lighter outlet you can only get about 100-150w total.

I'll post pics as I go. I'm just waiting on the speakers and amp to come in the mail. Should be epic when done and the volume and quality should be top notch.

Only thing is I have spent a lot already... 160 for speakers, 120 for amp, 50 in pvc, wires about 35, I'll make a detailed and accurate total when I'm done. So stay tuned.

sent from a locomotive driving ass hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM

interesting
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Amp came in today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

now for the pics I promised. its not done yet, got some work done on it tho. I think I have gone to every parts store in my town and I have been to each one like 10 times. the guy at radio shack knows me by name now too hahaha.

gonna be just a bit narrower than this.

here are some of the components, marine grade power and ground cables, 8 gauge 6 feet of each. heavy duty plugs, got from a welding store. aux cord, 6 foot long goes to rca, also got an rca splitter to run 3 channels off a 2 channel rca chord.

sound stream 520w 4 channel amp going to run on 3 channels, also 16 gauge speaker wire and 3 wire stress relief connectors to keep the wires clean and water tight.

cleaned and glued the pvc pieces together, then took silicone and siliconed the inner and outer seams to keep it extra water tight (the inner seams were a pain, wear rubber gloves)

ran power and ground wire through the water proof connectors then hooked up to amp, and soldered the remote wire to the power wire and taped back up.

hooked up the speaker wires to the amp.

here is how I have the power, ground and aux chord running out of the tube, coated with silicone, then once I get the wires where I want them I will silicone inside the grommet as well to ensure a water tight seal.

cut some wood blocks to mount the amp to then screw into the tube to make sure it doesnt bounce around and break

split the front channel rca and taped all connections to make sure the plugs dont come out.

and thats where I stopped for the day, I am waiting on the speakers to get here which hopefully will be here monday, and then Ill finish mounting everything in and then wire in the power and ground wire to the sportsman.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Nice!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Nice stuff

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Quad: 2011 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP with EPS in White. Front and rear brush guards 3500lb Falcon winch, ITP Mudlite XTR.

(Also)2009 Polaris Sportsman 550XP in sunset red with two way razor plow, tall windshield, 3500lb. Polaris winch, rear rest box and rear foot rests.
Previous ATV was a 2006 Honda 400 Canadian Trail Edition

Truck: 2010 Ram 1500 Sport black, loaded with all options. EconoAid throttle body... spinner?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Great project. How are you going to mount the amp in the tube without either having it bounce around, or making holes for water to enter is my main question.

2013 Sportsman 500HO
Warn 3500 Winch
DynoJet Stage 2 Jet Kit
K&N Intake Filter
Big Gun Evo full exhaust
Polaris Gun boot/mount

2001 Sportsman 500HO 6x6 "The work truck"
Warn 3500 Winch
K&N Intake Filter
Polaris Gun boot/mount

"Out fer a rip are ya bud?"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The amp will mount to those blocks then I will glue the blocks in and maybe put 2 counter sunk screws in and fill the holes with silicone.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

got my speakers in the mail monday, spent the last 2 days working on it, I am currently sitting around waiting for the truck bed liner spray to dry so I can flip it over then spray and mount the speakers and tune the amp. time for an update!

got these speaker rings that squeeze into the pvc ends, I will use them for a better mounting surface for the speakers.

glued them in with a locktite 2 part plastic epoxy, then used an entire tube of silicone to seal up around the rings to make sure its a tight dry fit. If you use this epoxy, dont do it inside, it was a breezy day and I was outside and this stuff smells STRONG!

mounted the cross overs, put them on a wedge cut 2x4 block to mount in the tube so it doesnt bounce around.

got all the wiring and amp stuffed into the tube then pre drilled some holes in the back of the tube and put silicone all over the hole then ran a few screw into the amp mounting blocks and the cross over mounting block.

glued on the last 90* bend and siliconed it all up for a secure water tight fit and tightened the chord fittings and put silicone inside and outside of them. This stage of the game was monumental, it took me a long time to get to this point and I got to finally see the thing all put together. needless to say i was excited.

started spraying it, thats where im at now. its about time to go flip it over and spray the top. then its time to mount the speakers and tune the amp.

to be continued with more pictures and a video.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

will the amp be too much for the battery and charging system of the wheeler, I have a big amp in our Pontoon and it drains the battery with big opti max charging system not keeping up now I have 2 6 volt deep cycle battery's hooked in series for 12 volts that took care of the problem just wondering

INDY LIKES PICS
2015 1000 Sportsman
2005 500 Sportsman
Yamaha 225 3 wheeler, the boys still love it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Visual & Body Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode