LED's - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Visual & Body Modifications Post any visual modifications you have done to your ATV vehicle here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

LED's

Just ordered a some LED's for the tail lights on my 400 and 500 (2013) from SuperBrightLEDs. They were about $25/ea and reviews on their site seem to indicate they work well for Polaris Products. I'll be posting up a review of them with photo's when they arrive. By my calculations, they only draw about 2.5 watts each; a good bit lower than the 27 that factory bulbs draw.

I've also located LED headlight bulbs that supposedly produce more light than standard H11 halogens; I'm going to be ordering these as well to test out in the pod position. I'll be getting the polaris LED headlights for the lower positions. I wanted something that will reduce power consumption that I can use in the headlight pod and hopefully this is it. I like the fact that the pod light turns with the handle bars- it helps to toss some light in the direction of the turn and that's something I don't want to loose.

Reviews will be posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I get 'em on ebay for my trucks, cars and quad depending on the type for between .89 and 1.49. Yeah you have to wait 2-3 weeks from china but hey I'm a sucker for a good deal. And oh yeah are they bright-I especially like the interior brighteness on my vehicles-woohoo! Luck!

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4789 miles
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1417 miles 189hrs
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgue498 View Post
I get 'em on ebay for my trucks, cars and quad depending on the type for between .89 and 1.49. Yeah you have to wait 2-3 weeks from china but hey I'm a sucker for a good deal. And oh yeah are they bright-I especially like the interior brighteness on my vehicles-woohoo! Luck!

You're getting 3157 SRCK's for less than $1.50?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgue498 View Post

You're getting 3157 SRCK's for less than $1.50?????
a 2 pack on ebay right now is going for $5.43.

2012 Sportsman 800

QSC Clutch Kit, 28" Mega Mayhems, High lifter HD Springs, LED off road lights, Heated hand grips, Front and rear Polaris brush guards, 2500# winch, synthetic rope, Glacier 2 plow system, Kolpin gas cans
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

My bad, looked at what I paid again, I did pay .99 for T10s but like ya'll said paid higher for the T20s, 5.25 a pair. Its odd how most other types are quite a bit lower in price than the T20s. The T10s I replaced are about 3 times brighter than what they replaced (much more area is covered) while the T20s are maybe 10-20% brighter than what they replaced but hey they are using a lot less wattage so that helps the overall batt/charging system out. Both have that nice bluish-white tone, closer to 5K but I can only notice that when they're on clear lenses, anything red/orange I can't see a difference. I'm sure the quality is not up to par with what the OP ordered but they are going on 3 years now, so that's some kind of longevity. :^)

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4789 miles
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1417 miles 189hrs
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Okay, so I got the tail light bulbs replaced; haven't been able to order the bulb for the pod yet, I've been doing a lot of other work on the quads that has been eating up my fun money.

The bulbs that work for this I got from SuperBrightLEDs.com and are PN: 3157-R45-T-CK 3157 Red SRCK... https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-tower/903/

I haven't exactly figured out the savings here, but I seem to recall seeing a difference of about 60% less wattage. 2.5w seems to come to mind- factory burn 7w when just tail lights, 27w when stoplights. I should imagine the 2.5w figure is the tail lights mode. Can't swear to this- what matters is I know I've got a pretty good wattage savings!

Anyway, here are some pictures:
In the left tail light is the LED and the right, incandescent. First photo is brakes on, second is just tail lights. It is very apparent the LED's are brighter as tail lights, but what's hard to tell is that they are about the same or maybe just a tiny bit brighter when the brake lights are on. The photo almost makes it look like the right side is brighter than the left- it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	19101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	19102  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

^ i did the same bulbs on my 850 when i added the work lights, wanted to save what i could so i wasnt using more wattage with everything on. let us know how the Pod Light works out. i would like to go LED up top, and then get the Polaris LED lights for the lowers when $$ permits, for now i will use my 35W HID's

2013 Sportsman 850XP H.O. EPS Touring - Blue Fire
Polaris 2500lb Winch W/ Syn Rope & Auto Stop, Heated Hand Grips, Heated Throttle Kit, Handguards, Mirrors, Storage Boxes - LED Headlights, ATV-Guru Cobra Front Bumper, K&N, NGK Plugs, Ricochet A Arm Guards, Ricochet Floor Board Guards, 60" American Eagle Plow, Worklight Mod, GoPro Hero 3, Polaris LED Headlight Upgrade, Custom Reg Decal Plate.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6rally View Post
^ i did the same bulbs on my 850 when i added the work lights, wanted to save what i could so i wasnt using more wattage with everything on. let us know how the Pod Light works out. i would like to go LED up top, and then get the Polaris LED lights for the lowers when $$ permits, for now i will use my 35W HID's
That's exactly my plan. It appears all of the good bulbs that match lumen output of halogen run a small fan on the back to help keep the heatsink cool. I expect this to be fine in the pod assuming length doesn't become an issue, but with the rear of the lights being right in the wheel well on the headlights, I'm afraid LED bulbs are just not an option at that location; least not unless the quad they are going in never sees mud.

I'd rather have the Polaris LED headlights anyway- I've heard such outstanding reviews.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

iv had leds in my taillights and worklights in my 2008 500 since 2008. and I put leds in my 2013 taillights and added worklights with leds as well. also whent for the oem Polaris headlights.

2013 Chevy 2500HD red paid off
2012 versadump trailer

2013 Polaris 550 xp paid off
added hand thumb warmers, auto reverse w/light taillights, bumper, 2500lb winch, custom plate, and 3rd brake light, chrome rims, led headlights, led taillights
also have another set of tires/rims
2008 polaris sportsman 500ho carb (cash paid)
home made 54" snow plow
3000lb warn winch
6 911ep led warning lights and a ls12
LED taillights & work lights
K&N air filter
P-X-T tires and alum rims
hand/thumb warmers

also have:
fimco boom sprayer with lock and ride mounts made by me
pull behind grader and box scraper
just added the rotopax gas packs to the front of my wheeler

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Visual & Body Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode