Wiring for trailer lights - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Visual & Body Modifications Post any visual modifications you have done to your ATV vehicle here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Wiring for trailer lights

I decided I should make provisions for tail lights and brake lights when I'm pulling an old trailer down the road. So today, I spliced a trailer light harness into the X2, hooked up the trailer to verify my handy work and found problems. Without the trailer hooked up, the X2 tail/brake lights work normal. When I hook up the trailer lights, all the tail lights go bright. Pulled the rear trailer bulbs and the X2 lights work properly and I have marker lights on the trailer. Plug in a trailer bulb and all the lights go bright.

Before I get into troubleshooting this one, I thought I would ask if anyone else has tried adding a trailer light harness to their machine and had any issues. I also thought I might be adding too much current draw to the X2 system which caused the problem. Any suggestions on where to start?

Last week, in preparation, I installed Sylvania Zevo 3157R tail lights. Before starting today, I pulled one tail light and checked the ATV wiring with a volt meter while referencing the Repair Manual schematic drawing. With the engine running and brake NOT engaged, I measured 14 volts on the red (tail light) wire and about 9 volts on the Brown/White (brake light) wire. I set the brake and the brn/wht wire then went up to 14 volts as expected.

Surprised me to get 9 volts on the brake wire without the brakes engaged; does this sound normal?

Do I need to install relays or something for the trailer lighting?

'15 Sportsman X2 570
Front Brush guard
Rear Bumper
Front Rack Extender
Fender bag
Warn ProVantage 2500

Side view mirrors (definite help when riding down the road)
AGM battery
Wire harness for trailer lights
20 Gal Sprayer
60" Glacier Pro Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Update to my dilemna......
I installed a relay for the trailer wiring harness.
With the Zevo lights installed, the relay would de-energize consistently, seemed to stay energized more often than not with the brake lever released.
Reverted back to traditional 3157 bulbs and the relay works as it should. There seems to be a path through the LED modules for current to flow through and keeps the relay energized. I can't say for sure but seems to be related to Polaris using non-standard wiring in the bulb socket.

It is possible that if I had rewired the whole rear-end through a relay I could have continued to use the Zevo lights. But, I have it working now and gonna leave alone for now.

FYI, I used the diagram below. (courtesy of backcountryrebels.com) I just substituted the 4-pin trailer harness in place of the LED. Both signal light wires are attached to the brake wire.

Note that the wire colors are different on my X2 than on the diagram.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 840x525.

'15 Sportsman X2 570
Front Brush guard
Rear Bumper
Front Rack Extender
Fender bag
Warn ProVantage 2500

Side view mirrors (definite help when riding down the road)
AGM battery
Wire harness for trailer lights
20 Gal Sprayer
60" Glacier Pro Plow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Visual & Body Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode