My Polaris Lock & Ride XL Box review (lots of pics) - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Visual & Body Modifications Post any visual modifications you have done to your ATV vehicle here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
My Polaris Lock & Ride XL Box review (lots of pics)

Before I decided to pick this one up, I tried to do some research on it.

Surprisingly, other than the Polaris' stock images, I couldn't find ANYTHING on it anywhere in the web that could give me the insight to decide if I needed it or not.

So, I did what any of us would do in that scenario... I purchased it anyway.

The box itself is sturdy, heavy and well made. It was bigger than I anticipated, and has space for a lot of things.

Due to the Rotopax gas tank mod on my Sportsman, I wasn't able to use the Lock and Ride anchors that came with the box's mounting kit (sold separately) which included two anchors and two ratchet tie-downs for $30.00.
The reason for this was that because the box was sitting a few more inches to the front of the bike than it was supposed to, the anchors would not hold the bottom of the box like it was designed to because if this.
As a result, riding the bike could get a bit cramped if you're a big guy.

So, I had to use just the ratchet tie-down straps to hold the box firmly in place. They got the job done, but they defeat the purpose of the lock & ride system that I purchased the box for in the first place.
I rode a few miles with it, and the box started to slide a bit, but I stuck those small round felt pads that are used to avoid scratching furniture on the four bottom corners of the box and that did the trick.

The box's lid is closed and held down by rubber anchors. The one thing I didn't like is that the lid has these rubber anchors on BOTH sides, it has no hinges, so it's impossible to open up the lid and leave it open while you search for what you need. You have to either use one one hand to hold it open or remove the lid completely

The inside of the box has two plastic dividers to keep stuff from rolling around from side to side. They are too filmsy for my liking, but hopefully they will hold well. What I would have liked for the box to have inside was anchors on the sides to use bungie cords to further restrain the cargo in place. I will try to use suction cups with hooks and see how they work.

All in all, this is a nice, roomy box. But with what I know now (about the poor lock and ride system implementation, the lack of a lid hinge, and the rubber tie downs) would I still had purchased it?
Probably not. But then again, Polaris isn't giving us newer Touring owners much choices to begin with.

2016 Polaris Sportsman 1000 XP Touring Black Pearl LE
Front & Rear OEM Brushguards
2X Polaris Fender Bags
Polaris L&R XL Box
Polaris Handguards
6" Auxbeam LED Bar
Xenon lightbulb upgrade
Ricochet full skidplate set
QSC Clutch Kit
RJWC Single Exhaust
Dobeck Power Commander
26" Maxxis Bighorns
UNI Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:39 AM

Thank you for the write up. Good info.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

lock n ride not so lock

I have the early edition on my 2010 touring and it is NOT very good. The lid is not water tight with the box. the early models rock back n forth and come loose. I use 2 small bungee cords to secure it in place. Its nice that it fills the space from the passenger seat but the quality is not there. I also have the small flat box that fills the same void and it is much better but small. Thankfully the front box holds most of my gear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Visual & Body Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode