Polaris ATV Forum banner

Tires for 850 Sportsman

24K views 72 replies 15 participants last post by  FPD218 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked/answered. But I'm planning on coming back to Polaris and buying a Sportsman 850 SP Camo with power steering in the somewhat near future... I previously had a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500, 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700, and a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500. My last ATV was a 2011 Grizzly 700.

On my Polaris Sportsman 700 I had ITP 589's and loved those (but I don't think they even sell those anymore). I thought the ride was pretty good and they performed well in the muck. For my Grizzly 700 I wanted the best of both worlds. A radial tire that performed well in the muck but rode well on trails while not robbing a lot of power which is really what I'm looking for all over again for the 850 Sportsman. But anyway for my Grizzly 700 I got 27 inch Mudlite XTR's on 14' ITP SS wheels. I really liked that combo and I'm thinking about going back to it.

However, I kinda like the Maxxis Viper tires that come stock in the Sportsman 1000. I like that they are 27inch, radial, and seem to just 'fit' the machine. I'm sure some one here will say just get the 1000 if I end up wanting those tires lol but for now I just want to know for those who have used those tires what they think of them.

To clarify I'm looking for an aggressive tire than can hold its own in the mud but gives the best ride available on trails while still being pretty comfortable and not robbing to much power away from the machine. I'm looking at going with 27 inch tire probably on 14inch weels again for whatever tire I go with. IMO when I bought the 2011 Grizzly the ITP XTR's fit the description I gave above the best. I'm not sure what all has changed since then. Right now I'm looking at/considering:

1.) Mudlite XTR's
2.) Maxxis Vipr Radial
3.) ITP Blackwater EVO's
4.) Bighorn or Bighorn 2.0?

Let me know what you think. It will definitely play a role in what I choose to buy.

See less See more
#3 ·
Not a fan of the XTR's. Don't know much about the Vipers. Black Waters are a nice tire. Bighorns have a great rep. I run the 2.0's and am buying another set after 3,000+ miles. You'll get alot of Bearclaw HTR votes. The Pitbull Growler and 2.5gb are a very impressive trail tire.

#4 ·
I appreciate the response. I REALLY want to know more about the Vipers. As far as the Bearclaw HTR, they just don't appeal to me at all. Idk. They don't look aggressive, what so ever to me and I don't like the look of them. Not saying they are a bad tire but I need to like the looks of one before I'd want to buy a set.

I LOVED my XTR's. Felt like they rode awesome, still had REALLY good traction in the mud, and didn't rob tooo much power. They did shake quite a bit on pavement/high speeds but that's going to come with almost all bigger aftermarket tires...

From what I've read of the blackwaters, they are an awesome all around tire but I hear they did quite a bit in the muck, and they definitely AREN'T a very smooth riding tire. I'm interested in them for sure. I'd put them in my top 3.

As far bighorns, I just don't know if they'd be good enough in the mud for me. If they would be, then I wouldn't hesitate. The reviews speak for themselves (positively) but I just don't know.. I would probably get a set of 27's or 26 if I went with the bighorns.

I'm not a HUGE mud rider but I want something they doesn't leave me with a lot of regret when I do go in the water/swamp/mud etc.

#5 ·
When I wanted to get rid of the Pitbull Rockers on my 850, I wanted to put a 28" tire on it. I wanted to go back to Bighorns, but they only make a 28-10-14 in the 28" size, unless you go to the 2.0. I'm not a fan of the 2.0 and 10" wide fronts don't handle well, so I decided to give the Bearclaw HTR a shot. Turned out to be a perfect fit for the 850 and I prefer it over the Bighorns.
The Blackwaters will give you a stiff, harsh ride on an atv, much like Pitbulls and the Vipr runs small, so keep that in mind if you go that route. I have very little experience with Mudlite XTR's so won't comment on them.

#8 ·
Yeah maybe I was a little harsh on the Bearclaw's. I mean, like I said I'm not crazy on the looks of them but I know that's personal preference. For me personally, i love the look of the more aggressive tires out there. The bigger, badder, meaner, they look the more I like them. But I've also been around long enough to know those type of tires aren't always the best so i try to error on the best performing tire all around that always has some good looks.

Like I said, I loved my XTR's but they did have a few faults. I guess the tire I want doesn't exist or we'd all have it hahaha.

#6 · (Edited)
I bought the 1000 Lava orange. It came with Vipr's. Great tire. I also have an 850 with big horns. My next set of tires will be the VIPR's for the 850 when the big horns wear out.

D

You are right about the comment about getting the 1000. Just do it. To me it was worth the extra to just have the 3 mode throttle. It is like power steering for your thumb. I will never go back. I also ride lots of snow in the winter so the extra power is a real kick in the butt.
After riding my 1000, I have the urge to throw rocks at my 850.

#7 ·
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked/answered. But I'm planning on coming back to Polaris and buying a Sportsman 850 SP Camo with power steering in the somewhat near future... I previously had a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500, 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700, and a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500. My last ATV was a 2011 Grizzly 700.

On my Polaris Sportsman 700 I had ITP 589's and loved those (but I don't think they even sell those anymore). I thought the ride was pretty good and they performed well in the muck. For my Grizzly 700 I wanted the best of both worlds. A radial tire that performed well in the muck but rode well on trails while not robbing a lot of power which is really what I'm looking for all over again for the 850 Sportsman. But anyway for my Grizzly 700 I got 27 inch Mudlite XTR's on 14' ITP SS wheels. I really liked that combo and I'm thinking about going back to it.

However, I kinda like the Maxxis Viper tires that come stock in the Sportsman 1000. I like that they are 27inch, radial, and seem to just 'fit' the machine. I'm sure some one here will say just get the 1000 if I end up wanting those tires lol but for now I just want to know for those who have used those tires what they think of them.

To clarify I'm looking for an aggressive tire than can hold its own in the mud but gives the best ride available on trails while still being pretty comfortable and not robbing to much power away from the machine. I'm looking at going with 27 inch tire probably on 14inch weels again for whatever tire I go with. IMO when I bought the 2011 Grizzly the ITP XTR's fit the description I gave above the best. I'm not sure what all has changed since then. Right now I'm looking at/considering:

1.) Mudlite XTR's
2.) Maxxis Vipr Radial
3.) ITP Blackwater EVO's
4.) Bighorn or Bighorn 2.0?

Let me know what you think. It will definitely play a role in what I choose to buy.
I bought the 1000 Lava orange. It came with Vipr's. Great tire. I also have an 850 with big horns. My next set of tires will be the VIPR's for the 850 when the big horns wear out.

D
Really? That says a lot. What do you like more about the Vipers vs the Bighorns? Which rides better? Which performs better in the tough stuff/mud? I really like the look of the Vipers on the 1000's. They seem like a good solid radial tire. Bob says they run small? So if I got 27's they'd resemble most 26' tires? Curious for a more detailed response lol. Because if you look pretty much anywhere online, you won't find out much review wise about the Vipers.

#9 ·
The Vipers are 1 inch taller than the Standard big horns. The rears are 1 in narrower also. the fronts are the same width.

I like the narrower rears. Not as much mud flinging outside of the fenders. I ride in snow alot. Big Horns slide sidways on a slope while going across. Vipers don't slide sidways as bad. Better cornering in snow, less slide and push. Ride is the same. Nice and cushy. I only have 700 miles on the viper but it looks like they will wear as good as big horns. I got 8000 miles on my last set of big horns. Maxxis just makes a good tire either way.
Most all my buddies use Big Horns and I am the first with VIPRs. I am getting lots of looks and interest when they see them in action.

#10 · (Edited)
My 26.5 x 9 Pitbull Rockers next to 26 x 9 Vipr's.

Attachments

#12 ·
The pictures are simply to show that they run smaller than advertised. The Rockers measured pretty true to size, as do Bighorns.
26.5" Rockers, 26" Bighorns, 28" HTRs (with the weight of the 850 on them)

Attachments

#13 ·
I just went out an measured my 26 big horns to the 27 vipers. Same size. So if you are looking at gaining ground clearance, VIPRs are not going to do much for you.

On the flip side. The 27 tire is not going to rob you from any power and your clutching will still be spot on.

The only draw back that I find with the VIPRs is they are directional. Goes great forward through the snow but if you get in to deep and try to back up, they dig in a spin a hole. Where as the Big Horns back up just as good as going forward.

D

#14 ·
Thanks for letting me know about the VIPRs being one directional. That definitely sways my decision. Mud/water is important to me, In my mind right now it' sort of between the bighorns (not sure if I'd go with 1.0 or 2.0) and Mudlite XTR's.

So I'm basically choosing between an all around good tire (bighorn) vs another tire that's good all around but not as good as bighorn all around yet better in the mud.

I would probably go with a 27' bighorn if I went that route. Any thoughts on that?

#15 ·
I don't think they make big horns in 27 x 14. Most mud tires are directional. You can only install them one way. I have not been real impressed with the big horn 2. They ride good and work good but wear out way faster than the big horn 1. I like the VIPRs over the Big Horns for the stuff I ride. I don't do much mud but I do alot of really rocky steep trails with lots of tree roots. AND snow.

D

#16 ·
Duecer is right about the wear on the 2.0's vs the OG's. And another area the originals are better in is durability. But that's where it ends and the 2.0's take over. They grip everything better (rocks, roots, ruts) you name it. Even the infamous side hilling the 2.0's do well. So it's a tough call between the two bigs. Someone that rides more mud and snow the 2.0's are the tire for you. Someone that rides more rock and hardpack the originals will serve you better. Me, I won't the tire with the grip and the fact that my rears are half worn with 3,000+ miles well I'm good with that and ordering another set before our fall Hatfield & McCoy ride.

#17 ·
REALLY appreciating the input guys. If I were buying today I would probably get the bighorn 2's I guess.

Do they really not make Bighorns in 27x14? That stinks. I guess I'd go with the 26 then.

Also, RANDOM question... How do most feel of the 'remodeled' 2017/2018 Sportsmans? I can't help but noticed how different the front end looks. The racks seem much shorter and end way more abruptly vs the more fuller/well rounded look of the older Sportsmans. If I'm being honest I think I like the older look a bit.
Why did they do this? Did it have to do with them switching to the new A-Arm setup and getting rid of the macpherson strut front end? I'm sure I misspelled that haha.

#21 ·
Awesome man I am jeaoous! Haha. That is beautiful. I'm not saying I dislike the newer style, just trying to figure out why they did what they did. Guess it's simply because they wanted to. But that is a nice, nice ATV. What are you coming from? Or what was your last ATV (assuming this isn't your first)?

What are your impressions of the 850? Love the power?

To everyone else, as it stands right now, it's between the XTR's, Bighorns, and VIPR's. If I had to buy today I'd probably go with the XTR's. Having had personal experience with them, I know that the ride is really good (better than stock except at higher speeds), they give you just about all you'll ever need in the mud/water/tough stuff plus they are meaty and have that radial construction. The only thing maybe not good about them is they are a little on the heavier side but nothing too crazy. I feel like they are a perfect mix of an a mud tire mixed with a stock tire and the outcome is an awesome radial that offers the best of both worlds.

We'll see. It'll be a little while before I buy my Sportsman so for now I'm trying to decide on everything, winch, tires and wheels, etc so I can have all my ducks in a row when I go to buy it. Maybe save some time and money.

Last question, does getting an exhaust (something I may or may not do) void the warranty? Like an HMF Swamp series?

#19 ·
Also, RANDOM question... How do most feel of the 'remodeled' 2017/2018 Sportsmans? I can't help but noticed how different the front end looks. The racks seem much shorter and end way more abruptly vs the more fuller/well rounded look of the older Sportsmans. If I'm being honest I think I like the older look a bit.
Why did they do this? Did it have to do with them switching to the new A-Arm setup and getting rid of the macpherson strut front end? I'm sure I misspelled that haha.

I have had two of the old body style 850 and my new 18 1000 is the new style. Same ride, same chassis, different plastic.

The new style has more heat shields and sounds really cool!!! I am comfortable with riding either one. The storage for the old style is better in my opinion. If you put a rear box on the new style it covers up the rear compartment, making it useless. The front compartment is a joke!! Maybe some wet wipes and TP? My 15 850 has the front storage box on it. Pretty good room and I can carry a rear box and still use the rear trunk box.

D

#20 ·
The early 2017 had the 2016 look and setup , but the later 2017 have the identical look as the 2018, as far as the 1000 goes. Love the 27" Vipr's on my 1000, will replace with same when needed. As for as ride, and performance goes couldn't be happier. Though also this my first wheeler.

#23 ·
That's saying a lot coming from a brute 750! I remember when that was considered basically the cream of the crop power wise lol. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for your 850 out the door? My dealer recently told me that if I wait until Polaris announces the 2019 models (1 month exactly from now) then I won't be able to get an 18 if they don't still have it in stock.

#28 ·
I'm going to get an extended warranty most likely so that's why I asked that but I doubt I'll go that route or else I'd just get a 1000 like you guys mentioned.

I'm definitely getting power steering. I had it on my 2011 Grizzly 700 and I don't think I can ever go back without it.

I hope that if I go with the bighorns that I won't regret it from the aggressive side of things. As long as they hold their own in the tough stuff I'll be fine going that route. I just hope they don't suck in the mud/water. I wouldn't mind giving them a shot though.

How are Polaris' winches? I plan on getting a 3000lb with synthetic rope. All I've ever used is WARN winches and really like them.

#29 ·
I like warn winches. They're a very good winch and the only bad thing you will hear about them is the price.

Just an FYI the 2.0's are better in the snow and mud then the originals. Idk how much mud you'll be getting into but just so you know.

#30 ·
Yeah it's hard for me to answer that question lol. In general I'm more of a trail rider that likes to play in some mud here and there. But I mainly only ride on some nearby land and there are some spots that have some tough stuff but for 85-90% of what I'll be riding in I'm sure the bighorn 2.0's will be more than enough. I just get greedy when I try to attempt some of the thicker mud/high water spots from time to time haha.

#31 ·
I did run 28" itp mega mayhems which were an awesome tires, but not very smooth to ride on, they did wear well and were ok on trails for a mud tire but I switched to big horn originals this spring and I wouldn't go back, I do similer riding to you mixed with a bit of mud I don't find them to bad in the mud but not a mud tire, only complaint is on side hills or a slippery corners the non directional tread pattern isn't as good they slide or push a bit. Overall I will go with big horns again once I wear these out or upgrade machines, they ride car like smooth , and still seem to hold their own everywhere, I haven't used the 2.0 version so I cant speak for them,

#32 ·
I'm going to give the bighorn 2.0's a shot. Heard too many good thing about bighorns in general. Really expecting a great ride and all around tire. And they do come in 27 inches for someone who wasn't sure. And that's what I'll go with. 27inch bighorns on 14inch wheels.

#35 · (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with Out and Back Max tires? I see they come in a bunch of different sizes. from 26 all the way up to like 36 for side by sides lol. They look pretty dang aggressive but no so much so that its over the top. But only can tell so much by looks... Click the pic below to check them out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSg3c4UFIa5/?hl=en&taken-by=guiboisvert77

#36 ·
So today I saw a Grizzly 700 on Moto MTC tires... Does anyone know much about these tires? They are VERY similar to Bighorns. Almost same tread pattern but the MTC tires seem to offer a little bit more aggressive take on the bighorns. I've pretty much settled on bighorn 2.0's but after seeing these, they look like Bighorns but a little more aggressive/deeper tread.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations between the two?

#37 ·
A LOT heavier then the 2.0's!

32lbs heavier per set :puke:.

#38 ·
wow that's a lot more weight for that tire. I'm obviously going back and forth to some extent on everything... If i bought today it'd be 27' bighorn 2.0, '27 Outback and Max tires, and XTR in a distant 3rd.

So with those being my top 3, I obviously am torn on what route to go as far as what I want.

Bighorn 2.0 (27inch) - Excellent ride, great long term wear, good traction for trail riding, decent in mud

Outback and Max Tire (27 inch) - Not a lot of reviews on this tire online.. Seem to remind me of my ITP 589's I had to some extent. They are heavy, but they are 8ply, great in mud, and seem to offer a pretty good ride all things considered. If I wanted to go the mud route but with a decent ride, I would go with this tire.

ITP XTR's (27 inch) - Had them before on Grizzly 700... Thought they road VERY well, had good traction in the mud, more like a beefed up version of the bighorns so to speak, but I kinda want to try something new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.