Smaller than labeled tires - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Smaller than labeled tires

My XP 1000 Touring only "works" with the factory PXT tires because they are 2 inches smaller in diameter than they are labeled. (24 inch vs 26 as marked)

Does anyone know of another vendor/model that runs small as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Not necessarily, but if you take different names of tires from the same manufacturer all in the same size and set them side by side you will see they all vary in width and height. Part of the reason is the size refers to the size of the carcass before the tread in put on Example; take 2 Dunlop 130/90-16 motorcycle tires - a D404 and a D402 - one is a little wider and one is a little taller - one might have a little deeper tread, but they are the same size. It's just one of the things you have to consider when buying tires.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:37 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by it only "works" with small tires??
My 1000 xp "works" just fine with 27.5 Pitbulls on it that actually measure around 28 mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Yep, a regular XP will work fine.

I had pitbulls on my XP850 with no clearance issues...I just hated the extra weight that took away the "light sporty" fee of the unit and the bad ride on asphalt.

The touring versions however, have less than 3 inches between the stock wheels and the feet rests inside the fender...so if you take away 1 inch you have taken away over 1/3 of the travel...so you are constantly bottoming out.

I tried running OG BH which are a true 26 inch don't like the rubbing over the smallest bump when I ride solo....to say nothing of the rubbing when I have a passenger.

Not interested in cranking up the springs or the compression to make the rear end rigid (I have elka stage 3s on it) I am at the age where I want a soft plush ride and the PXTs + Elka deliver that...just would like a tire with a little thicker side wall.

I seem to recall terathons used to run small...but can't seem to confirm that now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 PM

Ah Ha! I overlooked the "Touring" part of your post. I too was getting a little rubbing at full compression and was reluctant to turn up the preload. Cranked it up just a couple notches to minimize the rub and didn't really sacrificing the plushness noticeably.
I think some of the touring guys mod the footwells a little for clearance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode