Upgrading to 12' wheels - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Upgrading to 12' wheels

I have a 1997 Xpress 400 (2WD 2 stroke) that I need new wheels and tires for. I've heard more tire options are available for 12" wheels. Currently it has 23x7x10 up front. I don't recall the size on the rear at the moment, but know they are a 24" tire.

I'm not sure of the lug pattern of these, or where the best place to order wheel and tires. Looking for wheel/tire combos if possible.

Can this 4 wheeler handle going up to a 12" wheel? Would I need to change the hubs our or anything, I ask because I am unsure of bolt pattern changes when moving up a wheel size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

If it's like the other older machines the rear is a 10" wheel with a 4/4 bolt pattern. I do believe that Delta makes a 12" wheel that will work. I believe the last ones I saw were about $125 for a pair. I can not say what a set of those wheels will do for the wheel track. I have a '94 Trail Boss 400L in the shop. If I remember it I will look at the wheels tomorrow.

With my 325 Magnum with the 4/4 bolt pattern I wanted to go with a newer style 12" wheel. My research showed the adapters had to make up for about 5" of width difference also. So I got CAD drawings from another member of the forum. I have a tool and die maker friend who had too much time on his hands and a CNC end mill. He got the material and we made 2 sets of adapters.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode