Polaris ATV Forum banner

How heavy of tires can I put on a sportsman 400

23K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  2013sportsman400 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting new tires for my polaris sportsman 400 2013. I would like the biggest mud tire I could get while still putting them on stock rims to save a few bucks. I do do a bit of hard pack but I have a snorkel on it and I can't really use it because if I go in muddy holes I get stuck so would like nice mud tires. I've been thinking of maxxis Zilla's or silverback x lites. It would also be nice if I don't lose to much top end but I'm ok with a little bit of loss. If anyone would reply that would be great and if anyone has any ideas of other tires would be nice to and pics of ur machines. Thx

#31 ·
Thank you guys so much I might not put on lift to save some money big if tires don't fit I will. And I have looked at the clutch kit. Will probably get it.

#32 ·
Yeah man seems like the most logical thing to do. Just get those tires on and see if they clear ur snorkel kit. Go from there and it my b fine or just require a spacer to bump the front wheels out a bit. That actually leads into another good point that may have been overlooked with all of the clutch kit / tire size / lift talk some 9" fronts fit and some hit the tie rod ends.

#33 ·
Thank u so much. my tires would clear but when I turn is when I would have the possibility of hitting hit

#34 ·
Oh nevermind. I was going to say you shouldn't hit anything but now I see your talking about your snorkel kit

#36 ·
Hey guys I hope someone will read this cuz I got looking at tires again and I found three tires I could go with. 1. Super grip super light size 27 or 28 inch with 1 1/4 inch of tread under 26 lbs each. 2. Maxxis Mudzilla size 26x9x12 or 27x9x12, 26 inch tire with 1.31 inches of tread and weighs 27.8 lbs or the 27 inch tire with 1.40 and weighs 28.2 lbs. 3. STI silverback xlites 26x9x14 with 1.25 inch tread and weighs 24 lbs. Zillas are out of the equation, they don't have enough tread for my liking. Please help me out I get I'll probably have to put a clutch with any of these selections but what do u guys think would be to much or do u guys think I could select one of my selections. Thx

#37 ·
I would probably go with the x lites personally.

I thought zillas are 1 1/4"

#38 ·
Larger tires rob HP! Unless you have Hp to burn I would only recommend 1" inch larger and go with as light as you can!

#39 ·
So 26 inch xlites or 26-28 inch super grip super light. I'm now kinda going towards the super grip super light cuz they have 1 1/4 inch of tread but If u guys want to look at them they are on mud throwers.com. Xlites are under extremely agresive and super grip super lights are under modaretly aggressive

#40 ·
We have the 26" super lights on my wifes Yamaha wolverine 450 and they work great. I am either gonna put the 28" super lights or mega mayhems on my 800 when I have extra $. We don't have a clutch kit in the wolvy but she doesn't ride super extreme either. I love them and so does she.

#41 · (Edited)
26" Vampires on my wifes 300 . Turns them no problem and she doesn't ride aggressively, likes what it is capable of going thru even in 2wd.
Off-roading Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I get a little carried away with it every now and again though

#43 ·
26" Vampires on my wifes 300 . Turns them no problem and she doesn't ride aggressively, likes what it is capable of going thru even in 2wd.
View attachment 20419
I get a little carried away with it every now and again though
Ya I don't think I'll go over 26 inch if I get the xlites but I'll probably go with 27 inch super lights cuz they are so light but they have the same amount of tread depth witch I'm happy about. I'm probably going to go with xlites cuz they are more agresive but then I need to put a clutch kit on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.