Polaris scams on Craigslist. Beware - Polaris ATV Forum
ATVs For Sale Looking to buy or sell your ATV, this is the place for you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Polaris scams on Craigslist. Beware

Anyone else run across this? Yesterday I checked out a few Polaris' for sale on the Richmond, Va craigslist and received two almost identical emails back telling me that they had rcvd the Polaris as a divorce settlement and that they would sell the vehicle at a super low price that inc shipping and handling (immediately suspect). They then asked for my address to send me the Ebay (or in the other case Yahoo) Motors form so that we can have a "safe" transaction.

Email looked like this:

Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my ATV (2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI 4x4). I sell it at this price ($1,600) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. It has only 891 miles!!! The ATV is fully paid off, clean title. I have title in hand. I bought it since new and has only been adult ridden and garage kept. It is in excellent condition and comes with a snow plow and a winch. I just had it serviced and put in a new battery a couple of months ago.
This atv runs as good as a new one and has no dings, dents, or scratches. The divorce has finished 6 months ago and the ATV is mine now. After the divorce I was forced to buy a new house. Following the financial crisis I can't afford to pay the bank and I decided to sell the ATV. As you can see from the pictures, it's in excellent condition. This atv runs as good as a new one and has no dings, dents, or scratches.
I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town right now so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my ATV over the Internet. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the ATV and only if you agree to buy it). We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated with eBay and I have a purchase protection account. The last price for this ATV is $1,600. I will pay for shipping and handling (the loan of my previous buyer didn't get approved, so, there won't be any additional shipping costs). If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the deal through eBay. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Kind regards, Amanda Fisher

They then sent me another email:

Hi,
I have just been informed by eBay that they have sent you details about how we can complete our transaction. Have you received any email from them? Please let me know.

P.S. If the email from them haven't arrived in the Inbox folder, please also check the Junk/Spam folder. Maybe the email from eBay went there. Thanks
------

When I checked my spam folder I got an email that looked like it was from Ebay but on further inspection this was the reply email address: [email protected]

I'm sure most of you are wary like me but for someone new who might be looking for a Polaris out there be careful. Scammers await.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

People that get scammed deserve to be scammed. How does the saying go, it's immoral to let a foolish man keep his money...

I think these scams happen daily and are successful because so many people want something for nothing. And that is exactly what they get, NOTHING...

Sure, there are deals out there. But a great rule of thumb is to not purchase anything of high value unless you can drive to inspect it and if possible always carry a second pair of eyes to inspect and to keep you safe.

You have to protect yourself because no one else will...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycash View Post
Anyone else run across this? Yesterday I checked out a few Polaris' for sale on the Richmond, Va craigslist and received two almost identical emails back telling me that they had rcvd the Polaris as a divorce settlement and that they would sell the vehicle at a super low price that inc shipping and handling (immediately suspect). They then asked for my address to send me the Ebay (or in the other case Yahoo) Motors form so that we can have a "safe" transaction.

Email looked like this:

Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my ATV (2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI 4x4). I sell it at this price ($1,600) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. It has only 891 miles!!! The ATV is fully paid off, clean title. I have title in hand. I bought it since new and has only been adult ridden and garage kept. It is in excellent condition and comes with a snow plow and a winch. I just had it serviced and put in a new battery a couple of months ago.
This atv runs as good as a new one and has no dings, dents, or scratches. The divorce has finished 6 months ago and the ATV is mine now. After the divorce I was forced to buy a new house. Following the financial crisis I can't afford to pay the bank and I decided to sell the ATV. As you can see from the pictures, it's in excellent condition. This atv runs as good as a new one and has no dings, dents, or scratches.
I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town right now so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my ATV over the Internet. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the ATV and only if you agree to buy it). We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated with eBay and I have a purchase protection account. The last price for this ATV is $1,600. I will pay for shipping and handling (the loan of my previous buyer didn't get approved, so, there won't be any additional shipping costs). If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the deal through eBay. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.

They then sent me another email:

Hi,
I have just been informed by eBay that they have sent you details about how we can complete our transaction. Have you received any email from them? Please let me know.

P.S. If the email from them haven't arrived in the Inbox folder, please also check the Junk/Spam folder. Maybe the email from eBay went there. Thanks
------

When I checked my spam folder I got an email that looked like it was from Ebay but on further inspection this was the reply email address: [email protected]

I'm sure most of you are wary like me but for someone new who might be looking for a Polaris out there be careful. Scammers await.
Is it still the 05 Brute force 750 with the plow for $1600? I got several emails from her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I almost fell for one of these similar scams. Supposedly the guy was a pilot in the military and could fly it to me for free...ect. Then I woke up and realized that nobody will unload a $7000 machine for $1500. People I know would sell a kidney before their Polaris! Then I bought a new one instead.

2013 Polaris XP 850 HO LE EPS
  • Full Ricochet Armor (Black Anodized), ATV GURU Cobra F & R Brush Guards, Polaris L&R rear box w/Backrest & Bags, Scrambler LE Hand Guards, Symtec Heat Demon Grips, Rotopax 2+2
2017 Can-Am Outlander 1000 Max XTP
  • Stock-because it comes with everything you need from the factory!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I jerk these fools around as much as I can get away with without giving away my identity. Tell them I want the __ and start asking assinine questions. Can usually string them out for two or three weeks before they give up on me.

2010 Polaris 550 XP EPS
Polaris Lock n' Ride Front Cargo Box
Polaris Steel Rear Rack Extender
JamStraight Model 3157R LED Tail Lamps
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukaty View Post
I jerk these fools around as much as I can get away with without giving away my identity. Tell them I want the __ and start asking assinine questions. Can usually string them out for two or three weeks before they give up on me.
LMAO, I am going to start doing this too!

2013 Polaris XP 850 HO LE EPS
  • Full Ricochet Armor (Black Anodized), ATV GURU Cobra F & R Brush Guards, Polaris L&R rear box w/Backrest & Bags, Scrambler LE Hand Guards, Symtec Heat Demon Grips, Rotopax 2+2
2017 Can-Am Outlander 1000 Max XTP
  • Stock-because it comes with everything you need from the factory!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Same email I recieved on two different quads listed in the Springfield , IL Craigs List. Emails were so obviously phony that it was almost funny. Strung them along for a few emails and then told them where to go.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Had a friend selling her car on CL and got a scam email from a "buyer." He was supposedly on an oil platform in the Pacific somewhere and wanted to send a check for the price plus shipping. My friend told him to send barrels of oil instead and it would be a deal. Needless to say, there was no reply.

2005 Sportsman 800 EFI
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

When I was looking for an atv I posted an ad on CL looking for polaris sportsman and got an E-mail much like this one.

Ride it like you stole it!
94 sportsman 400 SOLD
01 sportsman 400
?? 110 Quadzilla
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

YUP!!

That 750 Brute Force was found by my neighbor!! But was in NJ this time, same deal 1600 for it shipping to him for free, go to EBay and pay yada yada yada. He asked me about it and I thought too good to be true, by NJ isn't too far to go for a ride. I said tell her we pick it up and pay in person... the excuse was something about needing record of sale thru ebay, I said then we will come down and look at it and pay thru ebay right there on my phone... no more emails where sent to him... LOL

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Classifieds > ATVs For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode