Wanted: 50cc ATV for young son - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATVs For Sale Looking to buy or sell your ATV, this is the place for you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Try... familygocarts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 AM

Very Dangerous

My sons irresponsible mother tried to buy one of these for our son who JUST turned 3 because she felt he was advanced, and he rode his Toys R US ATV like a pro. Needless to say, he went to the hospital and got 23 stitches on his shoulder blade after it flipped over and we also got a call from CPS. If you love your child, wait till he or she is atleast 6 years old. These are very dangerous. So dont risk your childs life because you want them to be the next Carey Hart!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I believe that this is the same reason why they banned ATC's. Quote (look at how beautiful my child is... look at how smart my child is...) Half the time real folks are shaking there heads. C'mon man. Can a three or four year old really understand the mechanics of a real machine. I bet that you have not even explained how the brakes work or even where they are to them. By all means I am not saying anything about your child at all or your paranting skills. Just make sure they know how to stop. All kids love to go fast and hit every mud puddle on the trail. Also a thing to remember is how long they are willing to ride before they get tired!!!! Fatigue sets in on kids alot sooner than you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have 4 kids.

My oldest son started on his 5th bday. Hes 17 now. XR50,RM80,LTZ400,LTR450, now on his KX250F.
Next son started on his 5th bday. Hes 6 now. Yamaha 50 bike, Raptor 50, now looking for a Raptor (or any brand) 90 ATV
Next is my 4 yr daughter. Next yr is the year.
Then my 22 month old.

Pretty much on there 5 th bday we introduce them to offroading with a real machine. They all started with the powerwheels around 2yrs old.

Ive seen some 4 yr olds that were bigger than my kids at 5. Its all about what they can handle, mind set,size,etc.
Ive seen tons of 10,11 hell even 12yr old children that have NO BUSINESS ON A MACHINE. They are goin to severly hurt themselves cause they arent ready and havent been taught correctly.
They need to know what you say goes. If not, there not ready.

To the OP. I think its great your introducing your little one to the sport. We need this. Good luke on your search. And please post up what you get'm. We all love pics.

Last edited by Callmed; 04-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Just thought I would weight in, I have my almost 5 year old on a new Kymco mongoose 90r. I used the throttle set screw to start her off around 7 mph for a few weeks and now she is at 14 mph around our nice flat property. She always wears a helmet and chest protector, i tried her Peg Pereggo Outlaw at 24 volts and it was crazy fast with only on and off, no throttle control.
I think it has everything to do with the parents, I spent years charging batteries for her jeeps and quad and she does have some talent. I have a friend that bought a Can Am 90 for his girls and has no set screw in it. his kids range from 4-9 and I think that would be too dangerous if the young one jumped on it.
I plan on getting a 50 for my other daughter and setting it down to about 5-6 mph, a little bit faster than the Peg Pereggo and no batteries to charge. I don't mind buying good stuff if they can get some years out of it. If you are smart, and don't rush your kid, you can get some years out of a youth quad.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
ATV Enthusiast

My son is 5 and has his own little wheeler, we started him when he was 4. He rides in our yard (no trees) and the machine is limited to about 7 miles per hour. I really don't see the difference in this and other battery powered machines that go 5 miles an hour. You have to talk to your children and make sure they are ready. Show them how everything works, how to stop and accelerate safely, and outfit them with all the safety equipment etc. I don't see anything wrong with it. He has never had an accident or been close to hitting anything, and he is learning the responsibilities that come along with the machine.

Duffer
2010 Sportsman X2 550 EFI
Polaris 2500 Winch
Pure Polaris Deluxe Front Brush Guard & Rear Bumper
JamStraight LED taillights
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Good Luck with your search. Don't think you'll ever find a Polaris 50 for that price even if it doesn't run they cost more. I did lots of research and felt that the polaris was the safest one for my son. I saved up and waited for a deal to come. It took a year, but I found a 07 Polaris Predator 50 for $700 and all that was wrong was a cracked plastic. My son is 4 1/2 yrs. old. I was expecting the worse in teaching him, but he has amazed us. I spent 2 loooong days pushing him around the driveway teaching him how to use the brakes. Steering he had no problem with. He also knows he is not allowed on the machine without jeans, helmet, gloves, & chest protector. Start with the basics and only allow your child what they can handle. After 2 weeks he can ride on the trails, through mud holes, over roots, and down hills. It's quite amazing to watch. I want to keep challenging him, but I have to step back and remember his age. He rides better after 2 weeks than my friends 10 yr. old that has riden for 4 yrs.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
TJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc410205 View Post
I'm sorry--did my post ask for advice or for people who have a 50 cc for sale? That girl that died was riding on a dirt path with no helmet. My child has been riding his power wheel quad (which goes 5 mph) since he was 14 months--he is not your average size 3 year old... 98th percentile height and weight since birth. He knows he is not even aloud to touch his quad if he isnt wearing his helmet (not some crappy helmet-a REAL helmet). I have a 2 acre FLAT yard that he will be riding on.

Regardless--I'm still looking.
If you read the article she WAS waring a helmet "Linscott said the child, who wore a helmet and protective gear". I agree, that it is up to the parent to know when their child is ready to move to a bigger ATV. Good luck on finding the ATV.

2012 550 X2
2500# Winch
Front rack extender
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Wished I could help in knowing a quad for your son.

I do wish to chime in on age. I bought my son at 3 a PW50 with training wheels. He was geared up with Helmet Chest protector, knee and elbo pads and gloves. He loved that thing, he now at 6 rides an outlaw 50. He was still only 5 when we bought that.

I am a fan of starting them young. Its our responsability to see that the conditions are safe for them. Gear speed governer and place to ride.

Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Classifieds > ATVs For Sale

Tags
50cc, wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode