Polaris Predator Problems - Polaris ATV Forum
Free Stuff Trying to clear out the garage and looking to get rid of items at no cost? Place 'em here! Remember, one man's trash, is another man's treasure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Polaris Predator Problems

I have a 2003 predator 500 that I bought 3 years ago. It used to be very fast and I would always beat my friend's 400ex by a lot. About 6 months ago I put in a K&N air filter and rejetted it by dropping the clip on the needle jet one notch and putting in a 175 main jet. After I did this it was much fast, however, recently it has lost almost all of the top end power it used to have but still has the low end it had (if you have ridden a predator you know they have a lot of top end and hardly any low end power). I always change the oil on time, and I just recently had the compression and valve clearance checked and they were both fine. Spark plug is also new. I haven't done anything to the carb since I rejeted it. The top speed has also decreased significantly, I clocked it at 80mph after the filter and now its top speed is only 63mph and getting beat by a 400 is not something I am going to get used to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, the mechanic can't even tell me what is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 AM

What was the stock main jet on your Predator? Have you done a compression test on it? Sounds like to me you need to do a compression test! What oil do you run in it? Sorry for your troubles but that is probably long overdue for a piston kit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Stock main jet was a 150

Check the belt and clutches - either it just needs a belt, the clutches need to be serviced or both
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Stock main jet was a 150

Check the belt and clutches - either it just needs a belt, the clutches need to be serviced or both
Predator 500s have belts and clutches? LOL!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknawful View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Stock main jet was a 150

Predator 500s have belts and clutches? LOL!!
OK - I didn't check before responding, but it still has a clutch; it's just that the clutch is probably not the problem in this case, unless the engine revs in the taller gears without accelerating.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned

175 is a big jump along with raising the needle. either starving for gas or air. Filter good? No nest in intake?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM

That's about right! On my 400ex Honda I did a custom built slip on and K&N with outerwear. Went from 48 to 52 pilot and 152? 178 main! DS 650, cut the spark arrest or out and K&N with outerwear I don't remember the jets in this 2001, I went up on on the pilot and like 175 main. I did have to move the needle up(clip down one groove). Our local Honda shop was installing pipes, K&N with outerwear and lowering the clip one/ going up one on main jet. They were pissed when I beat them at 280lbs. There plugs were white, most didn't want my help!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

he added k&n only.....no pipe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Classifieds > Free Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode