850SP Touring - Removing & Replacing Passenger Seat - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris ATV How-Tos Polaris ATV How-Tos, Guides, FAQs put together by the PolarisATVForums.com membership.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Question 850SP Touring - Removing & Replacing Passenger Seat

My brand new 2017 Sportsman 850 Touring (2 seats) does a lot of things well but there is one thing that befuddled me for hours (literally): Removing & Replacing the Passenger Seat. It could just be me but I dont think so. Anyway, here're concise step by step instructions (that dont exist anywhere).

REMOVING
1. Position yourself directly behind the bike, one hand on top of passenger seat, one hand on handle at bottom of seat.
2. Simultenously push down with hand on top of seat and pull UP on handle, and lift.
(there's a silly strap, metal plate that the handle is supposed to pull away to unlatch the seat; it takes some doing)

REPLACING
1. Place seat down into its position, with bottom seat cushion tilted down slightly and pushed against operator seat.
2. Grasp metal arm rests right next to either side of seat.
3. Push forward and down.
(this last move took me almost an hour to figure out...practice it, you'll get better at it)

BONUS
Undocumented (at least as far as I can tell) is a storage area under the passenger seat cushions. You access it by grasping the front of the cushion and YANKING UP.

I seriously hope this will help others.

Scott

2017 Sportsman 1000XP Touring
Pine, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderskies View Post

BONUS
Undocumented (at least as far as I can tell) is a storage area under the passenger seat cushions. You access it by grasping the front of the cushion and YANKING UP.

I seriously hope this will help others.

Scott
without removing the seat? Just the bottom comes up?

2018 Sportsman Touring 850 SP
Delivery 12/22/2017.
Polaris 3500 winch.
Cabela's Deluxe ATV Cover, size XXL.
Polaris handguards and mount.
Guru CTR1 with middle mesh and CF3. Ordered 12/22/17. Rec’d 1/26. Installed 2/4 without lower bolts.
IB HDPE skids. Shipped 1/9. Rec'd 1/11. Installed 1/14.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:25 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Does not appear that just the bottom comes off. Whole seat does and I guess you could store stuff there.

2018 Sportsman Touring 850 SP
Delivery 12/22/2017.
Polaris 3500 winch.
Cabela's Deluxe ATV Cover, size XXL.
Polaris handguards and mount.
Guru CTR1 with middle mesh and CF3. Ordered 12/22/17. Rec’d 1/26. Installed 2/4 without lower bolts.
IB HDPE skids. Shipped 1/9. Rec'd 1/11. Installed 1/14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8404 View Post
Does not appear that just the bottom comes off. Whole seat does and I guess you could store stuff there.

Both. The whole seat comes off, thought as noted, it can be sticky. ALSO, the seat cushion can be popped up in the front and then removed to expose a fairly small but handy additional storage area in the seat itself. Note that you need to be careful removing the seat cushion - I broke a tab off not doing it right. You pull up on the front only to pull two plunger knobs out of rubber grommets, then stop pulling up and wiggle it forward to allow two plastic tabs at the back to slide out of their slots.

2015 Sportsman XP 1000 Touring
Bronze Mist
QSC Clutch Kit
Ricochet Ultimate Armor Kit
HighLifter 2" lift kit
Kenda Bearclaw HTR 28" tires
Cecco frame braces
Cecco billet front pinion cover
Guru silver bumpers
12" LED lightbar
2" hitch w/bottle opener
Mid smoke windshield
Tatou 4s tracks for the snow
Synth winch line and Hawse fairlead
LED headlights
Wired for electric helmets
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8404 View Post
I didnt think it did either but I finally figured out that I had to get really tough with it when I basically tore the seat cushion off, as described here. Wear gloves, that helps a lot...

Pine, AZ
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 02:05 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Is there are cover you can buy for when the rear seat is removed? I see it in some craigslist adds but not in the polaris accessories section on their website.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Rider View Post
Is there are cover you can buy for when the rear seat is removed? I see it in some craigslist adds but not in the polaris accessories section on their website.
See video at: https://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...1000-a-21.html for a very homemade solution. I'm thinking a carefully cut and fitted piece of plywood with the foam shown in the video might also work.

Pine, AZ
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 06:22 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
See video at: https://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...1000-a-21.html for a very homemade solution. I'm thinking a carefully cut and fitted piece of plywood with the foam shown in the video might also work.
Thank you Boulderskies. I had seen that one and it is an interesting approach. I do wood working so may try this one. I know there is a piece you can buy from Polaris for the older models that provides a small compartment when the seat is out. I would expect it to be available in a year or two. In the mean time I will build something because when I do my longer trips, I want the rear seat off.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Boulderskies. I had seen that one and it is an interesting approach. I do wood working so may try this one. I know there is a piece you can buy from Polaris for the older models that provides a small compartment when the seat is out. I would expect it to be available in a year or two. In the mean time I will build something because when I do my longer trips, I want the rear seat off.
I would wager that plywood solution is going to one heckuva lot cheaper than whatever the geniuses at Polaris come up with. I was unable to find a Polaris solution for a rear cargo box for my 1000XP Touring so I cut a piece of plywood to fit in the alcove above the license plate, screwed it into place (with toggle anchors using existing holes) and used big zip ties to hold a milk crate to it. A certain size RubberMaid cooler fits perfectly inside the crate. See pics below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2615 (1).jpg
Views:	340
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	103490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2616 (1).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	103498  

Pine, AZ
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
There you go. Quick and functional.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode