Polaris ATV Forum banner

Which filter do you use?

Which is your preferred aif filter???

20K views 73 replies 59 participants last post by  202Polaris 
#1 ·
Just like the title states, do you prefer foam, paper, cotton?

Please vote, and let us know why you picked the way you did

#3 ·
9 people voted, and only 1 response?? Come on guys, we want to hear why you made the choice you did.

#5 ·
I chose UNI also, very durable and takes a beating. I cannot stand the OEM paper filters since they get dirty very easily and cannot really be cleaned. Same with the K&N cotton, yes they are easier to clean, but foam is just great.

#9 ·
Honestly at its best:ditsch:

#10 ·
K&N

I run K&N in my 06 Cummins, my 01 trailblazer, and my 08 razor. The reason i use them is i can clean them, they last forever, and if you keep your atv long enough it will pay for it's self. I also use the outer wear covers and keeps me from having to clean them as often.

#11 ·
I run K&N in my 06 Cummins, my 01 trailblazer, and my 08 razor. The reason i use them is i can clean them, they last forever, and if you keep your atv long enough it will pay for it's self. I also use the outer wear covers and keeps me from having to clean them as often.
While your cleaning the filter on the truck go ahead and take a look at the compressor blades on the turbo. :shocked: Another reason I stay away from K&N.

#13 ·
i agree with duoble J .
if you run a oiled filter it will collect on engine parts or turbo parts and than the dirt will adhear to it and than its realy goowie and hard to clean up.
i have a ram eatin powersmoke and i used to run K&N till i saw the damage to my turbo blades and so i swaped out the wheel and have not used a K&N or any OILED filter sence

and with K&N make sure u hold the filter up to the sun light to check for blow outs in the material cuz it happened to me so allways run a prefilter on all types of filter truck or polaris!
EATIN RAMS AND POOPIN BOWTIES

my vote any thing not oiled

#14 ·
I have had K&N filters in a lot of my vehicles. Ford F150, Ford Edge, Ford Focus, Dodge Intrepid, Yamaha Grizzly 600, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & 450, and now in my Polaris Sportsman 800. If there is a prefilter made for them, I have it.

I think these are great beginner modifications depending on the application. They never gave me grief and last forever with a little maintenance.

#20 ·
I prefer oem filters, but I'm running a K&N on my predator only because I got it cheap

#25 ·
For dusty conditions, foam with a good oil (No Toil or =) is the best. K&N's are good, but really don't filter good until they get dirty. Years ago I had an Oil Analysis done on a Turbo'd Diesel and the results came back that there was a lot of silica (dust or sand) in the oil and the Lab suggested to throw away the K&N, it just didn't filter well for a turbo'd motor. Anyway I wouldn't use a K&N on a Quad or Dirt Bike.
My .02

#26 ·
if you ride sand?uni is the only choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!everything else i'd go with k&n,,,,,,both are ultra badass.

#27 · (Edited)
I bought mine with a K&N on it. That was quickly replaced with an OEM paper filter and prefilter.

I used to be a K&N fan, but the risk of reduced filtration has turned me off. Im in the process now of replacing the K&N on my '94 Mustang GT with an AEM DryFlow. No oil required, just clean and reuse without worrying about displacing any cotton media...

That being said, I do plan on using a K&N oil filter next time around on the 500. The wrench off design and "Made in USA" factor is appealing. The Polaris OEM oil filters I have say "Made in Thailand." Sorry Polaris, but I won't be getting anymore of those based on that alone.

#28 ·
I'm all done with K&N, switched to a 2 stage foam. K&N filters are awful for dusty conditions, so many problems with mine.

#29 ·
air filter

i run a k&n filter and a filter wrap.been using them for years the wrap keeps the filter clean and makes maintenance easy.they take a beating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.