LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

2000 Polaris 325 Magnum timing

Hello,
does anyone have the specs for timing for a 2000 Polaris 325 Magnum?
I bought it from an older gentleman who had not driven it for a few years and was told he could not get it to run.
I have cleaned and then replaced the carburetor, the fuel lines, filter and pump, the ignition coil, the battery, and on and on.
I finally met a small engine guy who told me tat it could be the timing.
I see the mark and have taken the engine cover off.
There appears to be a marker line on the timing sprocket where the chain goes around but I can not find a correct positioning for the the sprocket or how to set it right in place.
I would appreciate some help.
Thanks
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Send a message via MSN to shane-o
There is a mark on the flywheel for timing it will line up with a small arrow or point on the recoil cover . That would be your tdc for the crank .

2015 xp 1000 black pearl,
-polaris front and rear bumpers
-polaris hand/thumb warmers
-polaris body guard
-gse slip on
-front diff fix
-cecco frame braces
-lock and ride front box.
-dobeck fuel controller
-big horn originals/mega mayhems depending on the ride
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Ignition timing is controlled by the flywheel - the only way the timing can be off far enough to prevent it from firing is for the flywheel key to be sheared. This is easy to check - take the spark plug out, insert a soda straw rotate the flywheel by hand, observe the soda straw rise and fall with the movement of the piston - when the soda straw is at it's apex the piston is at TDC (Top Dead Center) (there is about 4 degrees of crankshaft rotation where the piston does not move - TDC is halfway between where the piston begins to fall from TDC) - with the piston at TDC, check the TDC mark on the flywheel for proper position - if it's not at the proper position, remove the flywheel and replace the key. NOTE: the flywheel key does not hold the flywheel in position - the key just aligns the flywheel in position - it's the tightness of the flywheel on taper of the crankshaft that keeps things aligned - if it's not torqued properly, it can move, but it the engine stops suddenly (say the cylinder fills liquid while running), then the flywheel key may shear preventing inertia from damaging the piston, rod or crankshaft.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV Specs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in