Oil dripping down from headlight. 06 HL1000 - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Highlifter Discuss the new Polaris Highlifter 850 and Highlifter 1000

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I was cleaning it up and getting ready for the shop. Notice the oil is coming from the crankcase or it looks like a vent tube on the front of the starter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1oil.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	110457   Click image for larger version

Name:	2oil.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	110465   Click image for larger version

Name:	3oil.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	110473  

if your outgo exceeds your income your upkeep will be your downfall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane-o View Post
if you do find oil in the vent line between eng and trans don't drive it until fixed, it will cause the spike load dampener to swell and actually pushes on the crank shaft and will wear the lower engine cases where the crank shaft sits it could be trans oil ? but would be a really dark or purple colour if it was the trans, likly the rear diff is vented in the pod to ? due to it being a high lifter model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
Well the first thing I would do is start looking at the vent lines. A vent comes from the starter case area. It's the part the couples the engine and transmission together. You can see it if you take your seat off. It's possible a rear main seal went on the engine or the transmission input shaft seal went. You have another vent from your rear diff and transmission. They T together right under the seat. Can't imagine the rear diff or transmission vent being the culprit. You have another vent off your front diff. The high lifters do something weird with the fuel tank vent I believe. I think it runs to a Y fitting? I would check the starter case area good. It only makes since it would be coming from that area unless your airbox is full of oil?
Looks like its the one coming from the starter case area. I will clean it up and get it ready for the long drive to the shop.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Send a message via MSN to shane-o
yup take it in rear main seal likely leaking?
Skipholiday likes this.

2015 xp 1000 black pearl,
-polaris front and rear bumpers
-polaris hand/thumb warmers
-polaris body guard
-gse slip on
-front diff fix
-cecco frame braces
-lock and ride front box.
-dobeck fuel controller
-big horn originals/mega mayhems depending on the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Cleaned my Highlifter up real good before the long ride to the shop,
After cleaning I took it for a ride in the hay field beside my house to dry it off.
I pud a clean white rag underneath the headlight pod to keep any oil from dripping down and getting it nasty again.
After the drive I noticed there was no oil on the rag. I drove it more and the tube with the dark oil in it had become clear again.
Checked crankcase and it still has fluid, ( I ordered new to change)

Buddy of mine said he had seen differentials foam up when they got hot.
So the guess is that it had enough mud on it to make it run hot and blow out the vent.

So far 3 days and all is good.

Thanks for all the help and insight.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
The vent lines are usually clear tubing.... do any of them running into the pod show up darker (due to having oil/lube in them) then the others?? You could trace it back to the source component then....

Pressure (blow by) in the crank case?

Is the "Breather" to the air box plugged?

Good luck.... let us know what you figure/find out!!!

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

You must have missed the beginning of the discussion. It was oil coming from the clear vent and dripping from my light pod. Traced the vent to the one coming from the crankcase above the starter (pics are posted). Vent tube was totally dark and full. Was preparing to take to dealer and washed it up real good. Drove to dry it off and noticed the oil had quit dripping. Drove longer and the vent tube is now back clear. Possible cause was heat making the oil foam and blow out the vent. Crankcase still has oil and ordered complete fluid change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
The vent lines are usually clear tubing.... do any of them running into the pod show up darker (due to having oil/lube in them) then the others?? You could trace it back to the source component then....

Pressure (blow by) in the crank case?

Is the "Breather" to the air box plugged?

Good luck.... let us know what you figure/find out!!!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
The concern I would have is, it could be your rear main engine seal or your transmission input shaft seal. As a piece of mind I would change the transmission oil as well.

The tube that showed the discoloration should have no fluid in that housing. If it was foaming in your rear diff or transmission, he should have came out a different tube.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

We got the highlifter back from the dealer for the heat shield recall.

We changed all fluids and it still leaked from the vent tube. I drive 90% of the time in low.
I decided to drive a while in high. It stopped pushing oil through the vent tube. Only does it in low.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Highlifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode