Oil dripping down from headlight. 06 HL1000 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Highlifter Discuss the new Polaris Highlifter 850 and Highlifter 1000

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Oil dripping down from headlight. 06 HL1000

Went on a short ride and when I parked I noticed oil on my keys. Looked around more and noticed it dripping down from the headlight.
I'm not sure where this is coming from. Only rode for about 20 minutes and was mostly flat ground. Fan only cut on once and engine oil is full.

Anyone have a suggestion of what I should check? I noticed a few vent lines going up to the headlight.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poloil.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	110305   Click image for larger version

Name:	poloil1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	110313   Click image for larger version

Name:	poloil2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	110321  

if your outgo exceeds your income your upkeep will be your downfall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

The crankcase breather hose runs to the pod on my 500HO. I'd be willing to bet it's the same on your 1000.

Hopefully, someone with experience will chime in with how to deal with the engine puking oil out the breather.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The crankcase breather hose runs to the pod on my 500HO. I'd be willing to bet it's the same on your 1000.

Hopefully, someone with experience will chime in with how to deal with the engine puking oil out the breather.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Were you doing wheelies?

2012 850xp eps
32" Sludgehammers -5"/2" lift -Turner eagles
MSA battles 5+2 - GSE filter - Ranger Gears
RJWC single w/QC and programmer.
HD springs -QSC clutch kit/ EPI HD belt
Heretic Lights -Front diff fix -Cecco frame braces
Jccapri bushings -Swaybar removed.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807VikingMetal View Post
Were you doing wheelies?
ha I can't do a wheelie intentionally
Didnt even go up or down any steep hills.
thanks

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Make sure you are not over full on the oil - you need to run the engine a few minutes before checking or adding oil to the oil tank. When the machine sets unused (like overnight) oil can seep from the tank into the crankcase (referred to as wet sump-ping) - when the engine is started, the oil pump pumps excess oil from the crankcase into the oil tank. If you add oil to the tank before running the engine, it ends up being over full.

Likewise, if the machine sets for an extended period of time (a week is sufficient) with the fuel left turned on, fuel can overflow the carb and seep past the intake valve and the piston rings to fill the crankcase. When you start the engine, the fuel in the crankcase is pumped out of the engine into the oil tank overfilling it. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of might be excessive blow-by pressurizing the crankcase and carrying oil with it out the vent hose.

What is the oil level after the engine has idled for 3 minutes immediately after start-up?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Make sure you are not over full on the oil - you need to run the engine a few minutes before checking or adding oil to the oil tank. When the machine sets unused (like overnight) oil can seep from the tank into the crankcase (referred to as wet sump-ping) - when the engine is started, the oil pump pumps excess oil from the crankcase into the oil tank. If you add oil to the tank before running the engine, it ends up being over full.

Likewise, if the machine sets for an extended period of time (a week is sufficient) with the fuel left turned on, fuel can overflow the carb and seep past the intake valve and the piston rings to fill the crankcase. When you start the engine, the fuel in the crankcase is pumped out of the engine into the oil tank overfilling it. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of might be excessive blow-by pressurizing the crankcase and carrying oil with it out the vent hose.

What is the oil level after the engine has idled for 3 minutes immediately after start-up?
Hi, I appreciate all the information. It never sits for longer than 2 days. When I ride I will ride for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
Never have road it hard or in deep mud or water.
I will let it run for 3 minutes and let you know what the oil reading is. (Ive never added oil after the oil changes)

Thanks

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Well the first thing I would do is start looking at the vent lines. A vent comes from the starter case area. It's the part the couples the engine and transmission together. You can see it if you take your seat off. It's possible a rear main seal went on the engine or the transmission input shaft seal went. You have another vent from your rear diff and transmission. They T together right under the seat. Can't imagine the rear diff or transmission vent being the culprit. You have another vent off your front diff. The high lifters do something weird with the fuel tank vent I believe. I think it runs to a Y fitting? I would check the starter case area good. It only makes since it would be coming from that area unless your airbox is full of oil?
shane-o likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:14 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Send a message via MSN to shane-o
if you do find oil in the vent line between eng and trans don't drive it until fixed, it will cause the spike load dampener to swell and actually pushes on the crank shaft and will wear the lower engine cases where the crank shaft sits it could be trans oil ? but would be a really dark or purple colour if it was the trans, likly the rear diff is vented in the pod to ? due to it being a high lifter model

2015 xp 1000 black pearl,
-polaris front and rear bumpers
-polaris hand/thumb warmers
-polaris body guard
-gse slip on
-front diff fix
-cecco frame braces
-lock and ride front box.
-dobeck fuel controller
-big horn originals/mega mayhems depending on the ride
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane-o View Post
if you do find oil in the vent line between eng and trans don't drive it until fixed, it will cause the spike load dampener to swell and actually pushes on the crank shaft and will wear the lower engine cases where the crank shaft sits it could be trans oil ? but would be a really dark or purple colour if it was the trans, likly the rear diff is vented in the pod to ? due to it being a high lifter model
Thanks so much for all the replies. I will clean it up and take it to the dealer next week. It has about 200 hours on it. Oil has been changed as required, This seems to happen faster when going in reverse.

Again I really appreciate all the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Highlifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode