Polaris ATV Forum banner

tire pressure

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  PoPo3 
#1 ·
What is the average tire pressure high lifters are running with the Outlaw 2 tires that come with the units?

#2 ·
I started running ATV when they only had 3 tires and no shocks or springs. Low tire pressure was the only suspension. I still run 3# and not to go over 4#. Think of it this way. Lower the air pressure in a basketball and it will not bounce. The higher the pressure in the ball the greater the bounce. The greater the tire pressure the more bound the bike will have. When you are running over the rocks I do not want the bike bouncing. Plus it helps to save the tires from punctures. When the tire is against a rock, tree or whatever you have the tire will give making it harder for the rock or other sharp objects from cutting the tire. This, in the long run, makes for the softest ride. With the tires that we are using with the higher sidewall rating, the low pressure will show little difference in ground clearance. When I was mounting some 8 ply rating tires I removed the valve stem to see how much the tire went down if I were to have a flat. With my weight on the far corner of the rack, the tire showed little bulge.

#5 ·
Going to want to run higher pressures with big'ole meats as to not spin the tire off the rim.

#7 ·
i usually run mine around 8-10 and havent had an issue

#9 ·
The "correct" tire pressure depends on a lot of things... The particular tire and its construction, the terrain, your riding style, load and also personal preference. I generally run my Pitbulls at around 5-6 psi depending on the load and conditions. I sometimes run less but you risk cutting a sidewall in sharp rock and the machine will wallow around more on the faster stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.