Polaris ATV Forum banner

bogging

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
i ordered a new choke cable for my magnum,what is the proper adjustment on the cable? Could this be why the bike bogs when you first touch the throttle, once you get moving it seems fine is it flooding itself maybe???

#2 ·
Typically about 1/16 inch of free play on the cable before it starts opening the carb - would be helpful to know that year and displacement Magnum you have - I'm basing my guess on a 96 to 98 425 Magnum - here's the text from the manual:

Throttle Cable I Electronic Throttle
Control (ETC Switch) Adjustment
1. Slide boot off throttle cable adjuster and jam nut at
throttle block.
2. Place shift selector in neutral and set parking brake.
3. Start engine and set idle to.
NOTE: Be sure the engine is at operating temperature.
See Idle Speed Adjustment.
4. Loosen lock nut.
5. Turn cable adjuster out until engine RPM starts to
increase.
6. Turn cable adjuster back in until throttle lever has
1/16" (.16 cm) of travel before engine RPM
increases. Be sure ETC switch plunger is held
inward by throttle cable tension.
7. Tighten lock nut securely and slide boot completely in
place to ensure a water-tight seal.
NOTE: On 2 stroke models, whenever throttle cable adjustments
are made, always check oil pump adjustment.
Refer to pages 2.19 2.20 for adjustment procedure.
8. Turn handlebars from left to right through the entire
turning range. If idle speed increases, the throttle
cable freeplay must be increased, or check for proper
cable routing.

#3 ·
i took the vacuum line off the carb that goes to the fuel pump and tryed it and it seems to run better but revs higher could there be dirt in the fuel pump or should i take the carb all apart and clean it good cause i adjusted the throttle cable from the last post and it didnt cure the problem it seems like its not getting enough air i installed a brand new air filter also so any ideas....

#9 ·
Yeah, I think things like that are getting more common as alcohol takes its toll on rubber fuel system parts in these older machines. I just got done going through the carb, tank and lines on a 09 Rubicon. The carb was not really dirty but had little bits of stuff that kinda looked like grains of sand or something in the starter jet and slow jet. Couldn't really figure out where it was coming from or exactly what it was. I surmised it was probably from the interior of the fuel line crumbling up from alcohol exposure. The machine had set a lot last couple years.

#12 ·
i took the fuel pump all apart blew it all out with air and the vacuum line was dry so didn't seem to be gas going into it and the bike is still running like shit i played around with the air mixture screw and that doesn't seem to do anything either plus when i rev it up there's black smoke coming out of the exhaust im out of ideas to try and about to take it to a garage....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.