'95 425 won't start - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Magnum Discussions for the Polaris Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

'95 425 won't start

Hey y'all. Just picked up a '95 425 Magnum, and it won't start. I'm going to start with cleaning the carb, but just figured maybe someone could shed some light on it. No gas in the oil, good compression, it'll backfire and make a few poofs every now and then with carb cleaner sprayed in it. Got real good spark, but the plug was completely black with crud. My dad was thinking it was timing related or the exhaust lobe. Hoping it ain't nothing too bad.

Can y'all think of anywhere else I should check while it's apart? (bought the bike in pieces, lol)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Sounds like you're on the right track. Exhaust lobe is pretty well known for wearing, so your dad is possibly right.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

2013 Polaris XP 850 HO LE EPS
  • Full Ricochet Armor (Black Anodized), ATV GURU Cobra F & R Brush Guards, Polaris L&R rear box w/Backrest & Bags, Scrambler LE Hand Guards, Symtec Heat Demon Grips, Rotopax 2+2
2017 Can-Am Outlander 1000 Max XTP
  • Stock-because it comes with everything you need from the factory!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Well, the rain finally stopped long enough we popped the carb off and put it in a bath, and looked under the valve cover, all seemed good. The carb was gummed all up, but even with carb cleaner and some brake cleaner, all she did was pop and backfire. So, next is gonna be reassembly of the carb, try again with some actual gas; and then if all else fails, play with the timing a bit.

Bought the bike in pieces for 300, with all the plastics and everything cept the motor in good condition so even right now I can't complain.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so we adjusted the timing, lobes are good, got good compression, spark, and rebuilt the carb still just wants to backfire. Now things are getting interesting. Any other possibilities?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

How do I go about bypassing the ETC to see if that's the problem? I know mine is all screwed up, comparing it to my other 425.

Like I said, all she wants to do is crank crank crank, with a backfire every now and then (it also loves to blow gas back out into the carb and sometimes flames woohoo.

Got good spark, but could the stator be an issue? The flywheel was awful rusty.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Might be a split wood ruff key on the flywheel. Did you pull the flywheel off??

'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Could have jumped timing also.

'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

is that a picture of the ETC/ you can see that the points are mesed up, that s probably your problem, should be able to hook those two wires together to by pass it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Magnum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode