08 outlaw 50 lots of fumes in air box - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Outlaw Discussions for the Polaris Outlaw 50,90,450, 525

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

08 outlaw 50 lots of fumes in air box

So kids ran it out of gas at the end of last year, put diesel in it and ran it till it stopped. Cleaned all that out, cleaned carb, changed sprak plug and fuel filter. Got it running again but wouldn't start without full throttle. Shortly after the cdi went out, changed that did a valve adj and cleaned carb again at the same time. Got it going but still had to be on the throttle feathering it to start. Once warmed up it would idle fine. But then weeks later started to die out and one day not start. Did a carb kit and cleaned gas tank and changed fuel and air filter . Started up ran great for 2mins then died. Noticed lots of fumes and some water in the air box, pulled the hose going in the box and was able to get started with play of choke and throttle but got it to idle and tuned ok. But when you put the tube from the oil separator back kills it. Hose from the crankcase has the fumes come through it. Lots of milky oil in the hoses and separator I tried cleaning out. Oil in engine seems ok not milky. Wondering if I did the valves correctly or if my rings are going bad to put that much into the crankcase? Or any other thoughts? Hoping someone has crossed the bridge before as I'm out of ideas.
New to the group even though I've stocked them for a few years now working on little girl's 50 and my 700. Great site and help thank you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Change the oil - if the gas is left turned on, the fuel can overflow the carb and fill the crankcase with gas. Milky oil usually indicates oil emulsified with water (some what normal in vent lines) - if the oil is contaminated with gas, then as the engine heats, the vapor is drawn into the intake and it runs rich (can cause a low idle) - being flooded is indicated by having to hold the throttle open to get it stated -

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Change the oil - if the gas is left turned on, the fuel can overflow the carb and fill the crankcase with gas. Milky oil usually indicates oil emulsified with water (some what normal in vent lines) - if the oil is contaminated with gas, then as the engine heats, the vapor is drawn into the intake and it runs rich (can cause a low idle) - being flooded is indicated by having to hold the throttle open to get it stated -
Thank you late bird. Changed the oil yesterday which wow how easy it is to forget something simple like that, oil was nasty. So just after doing it fumes still there but able to start and get it to idle with choke at full, can't move it or will die. Throttle screw is in all the way which I find weird but if I come out on that will die also. I really don't know if I have the adj screw on the throttle cable adj right or not. Play in the stick seems to be right but still wondering. Any thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I'm guessing you still have a problem in the carb - typically if you open the throttle and it bogs, it's getting all air and no gas

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Arrow

Agree that the carb sounds like it is still the issue. Need to focus on the idle circuit of the carb. So, you said, you cleaned the carb. But, how did you go about cleaning it?? Did you soak it in carb cleaner and spray it? Or did you use an ultrasonic cleaner?? Or??

biz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Took delivery on February 4, 2011
Sold 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS -- Mine
Sold 2011 Sportsman 550 Touring EPS -- Wifie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sold 2009 Sportsman XP 850 Sold
Purchase date: May 2009
Sold date: December 2010
======== ===========
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz4two View Post
Agree that the carb sounds like it is still the issue. Need to focus on the idle circuit of the carb. So, you said, you cleaned the carb. But, how did you go about cleaning it?? Did you soak it in carb cleaner and spray it? Or did you use an ultrasonic cleaner?? Or??

biz
So I tried soaking it but not like completely covered just in whatever left over spray. Took it all apart sprayed and blow air and tried a torch tip cleaner the the jets. Then last time rebuilt with new jet, needles, and gaskets. Ran good but then the problems I said before. I did just check the valves and new plug and cleaned tank and fresh gas (did have small flakes in gas) still no improvement. Checked compression with a weird gauge only got 80psi but I want to get a different gauge since I don't trust that one. I can get it to start better if I pull the brand new air filter off but still can't run on it's own. Thinking still the jet? I was going to try cleaning it again and soaking it, any product you suggest or way of doing it? This would be my 5th 6th time so any thoughts would be great. Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Arrow

Sounds like you have issue with the air circuit of the carb or the vacuum hoses on the airbox side. If adding the air filter causes the engine to stall, then you are not getting the necessary air and fuel blend needed to run.

Check those air vent lines...and replace if necessary. Sounds like you did a good job cleaning the carb, so thinking you might be good on that end.

biz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Took delivery on February 4, 2011
Sold 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS -- Mine
Sold 2011 Sportsman 550 Touring EPS -- Wifie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sold 2009 Sportsman XP 850 Sold
Purchase date: May 2009
Sold date: December 2010
======== ===========
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Outlaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode