Polaris ATV Forum banner

2010 Outlaw 525 S Backfiring

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  aknawful 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got a brand new 525 outlaw. Just broke it in yesterday and today. The only bad thing is that it loves to backfire every time I take my thumb off of the gas. Is there anything I can do or should I bring it to the dealer as it is only a week old.

thanks guys.

#2 ·
It's not jetted right. It never is brand new. It's probably lean. Can you tell if it's a lean backfire or a rich backfire? It's going to need to be rejetted based on you elevation and temperature range.

No big deal, really.

When/if you can, I highly recommend you get a JD jetting kit when you rejet. It will come with everything, but the golden piece of that kit is JD jettings needle. You will get a noticeable throttle improvement by just the needle alone, properly jetted of course.

Dealer should be able to do all of this easily. Very routine.

#7 ·
I'd just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. Why should you invest in a jet kit at this time when it's still under warranty?

#9 · (Edited)
I realize this is a old post, but thought I would offer my findings... I agree a new bike shouldn't need any additional jetting, parts, anything at all to run right. Most of the Outlaw's pop through the exhaust when you let out of the throttle from a exhaust leak at the exhaust flange to head pipe fit.

-I solved my popping through the exhaust by taking the exhaust flange off of the head and pressing a socket slightly large enough to make a tight fit when you slide the head pipe on. My first thought was to break out the big welder. But there is a bolt in-between the two ports. So welding the flange to the head pipe will cause access issues to that bolt. I race a good bit of sand drags so I have countless passes then letting off the throttle to idle. It has been the way to go. I have 2 other friends with outlaws, and they have done this fix as well. I have also taken it apart and went back together with no issues as well.

-Greg

#10 ·
try the fcr screw avail on ebay-it allow's for finer adjustments.not the stock adjustment screw,you'll see it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.