Polaris ATV Forum banner

13 tooth front sprocket

15K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  mjluper 
#1 ·
Anybody running the 13 tooth front sprocket instead of the stock 14 on an outlaw 525 IRS? I hardly ever get into and stay in 5th gear. Basically I ride a lot of trails and very little top speed runs. Where I ride there's really never a reason to go 60 plus. So does that one tooth make a big difference when slow trail riding and does anybody know what the top speed difference is just because I'm curious.

Any information of changing sprockets is gladly appreciated really!

Thanks!

#5 ·
Rule of thumb is changing 1 tooth is the front is a 7mph change. So 1 tooth smaller should be 7mph slower. Changing 3 teeth on the rear is roughly the same as 1 on the front, so if you try it and its too low, try one or two teeth in the rear. I used to drop a tooth on my predator for woods riding, the change is fantastic! Way more usable low end power. Will lift the wheels easily (or spin a lot :) It kinda makes first gear a granny gear, but 2-4 are more usable!

#6 ·
I believe the rear sprocket is 38 I think... And the front is a 14 stock.

Shakin that's very interesting! 7 mph is quite a bit, but I really don't need to top out 5th in tight woods! The only negative that I've had about the outlaw was that first seemed a little fast/tall when going through the tighter areas or under fallen trees and such. Two more questions... Will the chain have to be shortened or anything weird like that? Also does the atv accelerate noticbly faster overall or is it just right out of the hole torque?

#9 ·
Im not sure how the adjustment works on an outlaw, on my predator I did NOT need to shorten the chain. It seems to have a lot more torque when you drop a tooth.

#11 · (Edited)
Just found this thread.....I put a 13t front sprocket on my 525 Outlaw when it was brand new. It, at that time seemed to need more power down low. However, it was a pain, short gear range so to speak, always having to shift up.

Once the motor had some hours on it, it got more power and the low end power issue went away but the short gear range issue remained. I went back to the 14t which has all the low end power needed and much better gear range.

With the 525, the Outlaw always has power even if lugged down, just floor the mudded humper, hang on.

Also, I put an FMF quiet pipe after a season. The stocker " tweeted " which sounded stupid. Yep tweet.

Anybody that's never riden an Outlaw 525 IRS, they're amazing. Awesome trail rider. One ridiculously cool quad that should have gotten much much better reviews.

#12 ·
For me, I rode tight technical trails or an MX track. So the low end and tigher ratio were better for me.

#13 ·
Anybody that's never riden an Outlaw 525 IRS, they're amazing. Awesome trail rider. One ridiculously cool quad that should have gotten much much better reviews.

I couldn't agree more, pretty bad ass right out of the crate!

#15 · (Edited)
Now that I think about it, there was some issue with some non-Polaris counter sprockets not working/fitting proper. chain alignment issue maybe, it caused some damage to some ? I can't recall. But there was an issue for sure.

The guys over at Polaris pros would know.

Just beware of...." Lego " he's a cross over.......

#17 · (Edited)
i have no idea what that is supposed to mean. if you are referring to me as lego.

i have been a member of a dozen sites over the years starting at predator owners back in 2006 it was later turned into polarisriders. i was the site admin there for a while. when the owner there sold the site to a big company and almost all the pictures and charts were deleted in transfer and it became an advertising site i lost all interest. in 2010 a friend from polaris riders started polarispros, i helped get that site rolling. then i disagreed with him the site owner over his site sponsorship dealings, he asked me to be a moderator to shut me up. i made it clear i wanted no part in being a mod there, in fact i wanted my name off his site. i did not shut up about the potential sponsor who was ripping off site members. so he banned me. i came over here in april 2011 when polarispros started going down hill just to check it out. this site is just a little big for my liking. so in may 2011 i started my own site polarisproriders.com with a few friends. i still stop in from time to time to give a little help to a fellow rider but me starting my own site a month after i signed up here hardly makes me a crossover whatever that means.

the 13 tooth sprocket from some aftermarkets offerings were creating issues with sprocket alignment, which ones i do not remember. i have always stuck with renthal or even sprocket specialties from rmatv. neither has ever failed me. the 525 has all the low end torque you could ever need. i would recommend a 39 tooth rear sprocket if you really need it to be lower geared like rock crawling or wooded trails where you rarely see 3rd gear. i ride open desert, dunes and a lot of open terrain. if you want more usable power i prefer a 15 tooth front sprocket on the 525 it makes it much smoother to ride. you are able to stay in the power longer in each gear. to each his own but the 14/38 combo on it is already quite low for me. you have to short shift the 525 like crazy, and i am always searching for 6th gear. until you get into an aftermarket cam and bored carb it really does not make much more power after 6,500 to 7,000 rpms. so i think lengthening the gearing is the key to really making the 525 rip.

not sure why you would need to beware of me. i am just a guy that loves riding and wrenching, polaris is my favorite, and i love helping other polaris guys and any other brand owner. so much so that i started my own site with a few friends, to do just that help out and make friends. so if that is dangerous then by all means. BEWARE OF LEGO (LEOGM5150)

#18 ·
I'm confused about being aware of Leo.... Somebody from here told me to go over to PPR and ask my questions. So I did and I actually got good answers very fast with Leo being one, of if not the most helpful. I check what's going on over at PPR almost every day to see if I can help someone or give input. PPR is the best polaris sport quad forum I have ever seen. Ayway!!!!

Thanks for the input Leo. 90% of my riding is never above 3rd. There's some straight stretches of road where I get her into 5th, but its probably not real safe. If I don't like it I can always pull it off!

#19 ·
Snicker. Wow. Hey leo...It's me the woo woo kid. You and I used to exchange funnies and you joked about people confusing Leo by writing Lego. I frequently used it too, in your and I funny exchanges.....thought you would recognized that and then get a laugh,guess not.... OPPS!!!!... sorry mah bad.

To All: Lego is a great guy, knowledgeable and very funny and will joke around with you.....

Now I'll do my Snaggle tooth impression and ........................exit stage right!!!!!! ;)

#20 ·
woo woo you kill me. ok i have been had. :notworthy:

you are not the only one calling me lego it does not bother me. there is just another guy that calls me lego and was thrashing me and my friends on a raptor forum. i take no offense to anything you said, just wondering where you were coming from.

now what is with these guys that change their names on every site good lord. how can i tell friend or foe? :cowboy:

#21 ·
thanks for all the kind words mjluper! you made me and claudio blush!

#23 ·
nice!

#24 ·
Friend here. Always for Leo. Truly, he is a great guy and very funny. Glad, very glad all is cool.

This site wouldn't let me use my other name when I registered. Don't know why. I was struggling to come up with a name it would take when lo and behold one " flew " by....bzzzzzz. Viola! Fly it is!!!!

#25 ·
i have all three front sprockets for my 525s 08,and have tried all 3<13t.14t,15t>i went back to the 14t i feel it's a all around gear!13T TOPPED OUT AT 59 OR SO.felt like the gears ran out qwick and revved the motor to much.15t was great for top end,but made the quad bogg bigtime in the lower gears<and stalh alot>and definitly not for the sand

#26 ·
When riding with large groups in tight areas is kills me to use the clutch excessively. I have to bog it out so much or stop and wait then catch up. I have also been known to pass everybody and ride in the front then once again wait for them to catch up. I try to warn everybody that if there going too slow they might get some roost when I pass. :) ill see how I like it!

#27 ·
When riding with large groups in tight areas is kills me to use the clutch excessively. I have to bog it out so much or stop and wait then catch up. I have also been known to pass everybody and ride in the front then once again wait for them to catch up. I try to warn everybody that if there going too slow they might get some roost when I pass. :) ill see how I like it!
AND THAT IS WHY THEY HATE OUTLAWS LOL:veryhappy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.