Polaris ATV Forum banner

outlaw 525 IRS

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  6.2 
#1 ·
well, finally getting a quad for this summer, after a few years of wanting one. I ended up getting a sled first. a 2012 polaris switchback assault800. so the quad was put on hold.

till now.

looking at a 2008 polaris outlaw 525 IRS. I like the IRS as it will suit the type of riding I will be doing.

few general questions.

Is there any way to widen the rear end safely,. without getting new a arms?

is it possible to fab some kind of trailer hitch onto it? for the occasional bit of yard work? (have a small 2' x 4' plastic tub trailer)

are they generally reliable machines?

thanks.

#2 ·
I say jump on one

you can widen the rear with rims i curretly sit at 52=54 inches wide front and rear

and for the hitch if u can dream it u can make it......... Hehe

i love my machine as long as u love it back u will have no problem { oil changes every 10 hrs and valve adjustments every 50=70hrs and u will have no problem}

#4 · (Edited)
what width is stock? I saw a video on youtube and it looks like he has his set up pretty wide. looked good.

You didn't say in your post if you ride, have you ever ridden a bike like the Outlaw? I'm sure you will enjoy riding it on the trails, but yardwork?
well, not hard yard work lol. My brother has a sportsman 500 that he uses and will be the main quad used for hauling stuff around the yard, but im talking like, once a month maybe, hauling that tub trailer full of grass clippings from my house down to the towns composting site. which is maybe .5 miles at best. nothing hard at all.

however its main use will be blasting down backroads, gravel and dirt, as well as some trails in the hills (theres so many nice scenic routes in the hills and valleys behind my town)

I haven't ridden a sport atv ever in my life, have ridden my brothers 500 a few times, and I used to ride my uncles honda trikes quite often when i was younger. So I'm no stranger to operating a manual atv. will just have to get familiar with it again before i'm any good at it again lol.

im pretty close to getting it, just waiting to hear back from the guy.

#3 ·
You didn't say in your post if you ride, have you ever ridden a bike like the Outlaw? I'm sure you will enjoy riding it on the trails, but yardwork?

#5 ·
I think you'll love it, pretty sure you will have to fab a hitch though? If you figure something out, post some pics?

#11 ·
Yeah I'll give it a good going over.
Probably won't be able to ride it to test it though, we just got a snow storm and the roads are snow covered and straight ice. So i wouldn't wanna risk someone's machine on a test ride.

It looks super clean though

#13 ·
I picked up my 08 last year. You'll love it. 2nd gear power wheelies all day long!
Here are a few things to look for:
Listen for a loud ticking noise. It could be time for valves to be adjusted. These bikes make a lot of power, but do require a lot of maintenance.
Check the cv boots really good!
Roll the bike and listen for any clicking or popping coming from the differential.
Other than that it looks really clean so I would think it's been taken care of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.