Polaris ATV Forum banner

Outlaw 525 CV Boot

15K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wicked Al 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie Polaris owner. Previously had Hondas.. I just picked up a 07 525 with very little hours on it.. I love the IRS. I know the original owner and its a very well maintained and lightly abused machine. I was cleaning it up over the weekend and I noticed the right rear CV boot is torn.. I'm going to replace it. Should come apart just like a car CV joint? Is there guards available to protect these boots? It doesn't look like it is that easy to hit, but apparently I managed it.

My only other complaint is trying to find neutral on this.. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.. Is that typical with this machine?

#4 ·
Hey Bubbak,

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I have had my Outlaw for a couple of years now. If you ride a lot, you will need to replace CV boots, not from sticks tearing them, just cause they self destruct from use. The inside boot is a little more difficult than the outside boot. There is a retaining ring in the center hub that will keep you from pulling the axle out. It will be hidden by grease, but it's there. After you remove the axle, grind down the ends of the clip so you create an edge to it to make it easier to remove next time. You can take the rest of the CV joints off of the axle with a good blow from a heavy hammer, just make sure you look at the orientation of both the race and the...uh...whatever that is called under the race that is attached to the axle, they both have a definite direction they need to be facing and it isn't obvious until you look closely at them. Next time I replace a boot I will take pictures and add that to my site!

Good luck!

Alex

#13 ·
Can you tell me how you were able to put the c clip back into the groves over the CV boot? I'm not able to install the new rear inner CV boot on my 2007 Polaris 525 Outlaw. The rim of the cv boot seems thick that the 3 of us were trying to push down on it to snap into place with now luck.

Thanks
Joey

Hey Bubbak,

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I have had my Outlaw for a couple of years now. If you ride a lot, you will need to replace CV boots, not from sticks tearing them, just cause they self desytruct from use. The inside boot is a little more difficult than the outside boot. There is a retaining ring in the center hub that will keep you from pulling the axle out. It will be hidden by grease, but it's there. After you remove the axle, grind down the ends of the clip so you create an edge to it to make it easier to remove next time. You can take the rest of the CV joints off of the axle with a good blow from a heavy hammer, just make sure you look at the orientation of both the race and the...uh...whatever that is called under the race that is attached to the axle, they both have a definite direction they need to be facing and it isn't obvious until you look closely at them. Next time I replace a boot I will take pictures and add that to my site!

Good luck!

Alex

#12 ·
What up guys .. I bout an 07 outlaw 525 for my gf but the lame i bought if from musta lost the inner boot ring (clip) & i cant find where to purchased a new one??? (other) then the whole boot kit from polaris which is expensive & will take forever to get .... any suggestion cuz i already ordered thicker & better boots from EPI but they dont sale the ring ..... Thanks any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

#14 ·
Sorry for the late reply Joey, I was on vacation and then came back but this post was already off my screen. Probably too late to do you any good, but you use a pair of pliers, I use vice grips to compress the ring into the groove. You have to go around several times to ensure it is in as when you crimp it in on one side, it might pull the other side out. The boot should not have a problem with going fully in. Make sure the groove is completely clean of debris otherwise no amount of squeezing with the pliers is going to set it.

Good luck and sorry again for the late reply!

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.