Predator wont start, and lots of metal shavings... - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Predator All discussions for the Polaris Predator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Predator wont start, and lots of metal shavings...

Title says it all, I pulled the side of the case off where the starter goes into and found lots of shavings. I believe they are from the cylinder that turns around the magneto. What is that part called exactly and what do i use to pull it from the motor? It looks like its stripped somehow and does not turn with the motor. This is probably why my battery would not charge.... The starter would turn over but not catch anything to turn the motor over, im not sure if this cylinder would affect that but i need to fix it anyways.

Basically all im asking is what is that cylinder around the magneto called and how do you pull it from the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

all you have to do is take off that side cover that also covers up the starter gears...then you be able to see exactlly what is going on. as for the name for the cylinder around the magneto??? there is just a side cover that holds the magnet and the side of the cranks spins inside it...there is also the pick up for the cdi in there also...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Your issue...same as my issue I think

I just picked up a used non-running Predator 500 and for several minutes I thought I was going to get away with a fix for less than $1.00...but I removed that cylinder thing around the stator...also known as the flywheel. The guy who sold me the crate included a flywheel puller and it is your good friend when your flywheel is on snugly.

I thought maybe it would not start because the timing was off, so I opened the access to the flywheel nut and put a socket on, and found it was loose and stripped. And, behind MY flywheel I found a world of pain---the starter engages a one-way starter clutch which is on the back side of the flywheel, and apparently the starter clutch gave way because the flywheel was not tightened down and it came loose, wobbled and beat the hay out of everything behind the flywheel.

This created tons of pieces and flakes. Flakes are one thing, but the pieces are everywhere too and have been pumped all through the motor I figure.

So, I can adopt the WTF plan and try flushing it out as best as possible with repeated oil changes, or I can go in and split cases and just have a monster cleaning party.

Anyway, I am new here myself and I hope you get yours figured out. I just ordered a new starter clutch from ebay this afternoon and will post what I do and what I figure out when the part arrives.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

by starter clutch i assume/hope you mean the bendix. but yes, PLEASE strip that baby down and clean her out before you go poking up inside her. It will be better in the long run and it's really not hard at all, just takes a couple hours. Clean her up before you hit that shit PLEASE!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaroost View Post
I just picked up a used non-running Predator 500 and for several minutes I thought I was going to get away with a fix for less than $1.00...but I removed that cylinder thing around the stator...also known as the flywheel. The guy who sold me the crate included a flywheel puller and it is your good friend when your flywheel is on snugly.

I thought maybe it would not start because the timing was off, so I opened the access to the flywheel nut and put a socket on, and found it was loose and stripped. And, behind MY flywheel I found a world of pain---the starter engages a one-way starter clutch which is on the back side of the flywheel, and apparently the starter clutch gave way because the flywheel was not tightened down and it came loose, wobbled and beat the hay out of everything behind the flywheel.

This created tons of pieces and flakes. Flakes are one thing, but the pieces are everywhere too and have been pumped all through the motor I figure.

So, I can adopt the WTF plan and try flushing it out as best as possible with repeated oil changes, or I can go in and split cases and just have a monster cleaning party.

Anyway, I am new here myself and I hope you get yours figured out. I just ordered a new starter clutch from ebay this afternoon and will post what I do and what I figure out when the part arrives.
Finally got around to mine.... This is exactly what went wrong with mine. It beat up my flywheel a bit, so i think im just going to get a new one....
Does $180 sound like a deal for the flywheel and one way clutch assembly?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 AM

That is probably a reasonable price. I happened to find a set on ebay for $110, but I was expecting to pay well over $200 for the starter clutch and flywheel.

It is wise to replace both as on mine the clutch had worn away part of the flywheel where they meet and meant the clutch would slip the wrong way.

I will confess to all...I blew out the broken pieces, used magnets and air...and many miles later and a few oil changes there is no debris and it runs like a champ.

I am not in love with the way it handles though...may look into that on another thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode