Polaris ATV Forum banner

electrical problem

15K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  buckwild kid 
#1 ·
I have an 03 Predator 500 and lately when I ride it to work it has what seems to be an ignition problem. It cuts out and then back fires, and then runs fine again for a bit and repeats it self intermittently. At the same time it cuts out the headlights flicker almost like it is a total electrical loss to the machine. Any ideas where to start? Also last month I replaced the battery when I bought it, and 2 weeks ago I had to replace it again because for some reason the machine killed it and it would not take a charge again. It tested bad when I took it back to the store.

#3 ·
I have followed the ground cable and checked all of the connections to it and they are all clean and tight. To also clarify/eliminate I am positive it isn't a timing issue because it starts immediately warm or cold, I can run the throttle through all settings and it is real snappy (even under a load and will pull the front end up no problem). I haven't checked it while it is hot but I check the battery with my volt meter with the engine running and it shows 14 and a half volts at idle and revved up. That is why I am scratching my butt on this.

#4 ·
check the contact points for the grounds on your head lights. I had a similar problem with engine cutout and back firing it wound up that the grounds were just corroded and needed to be cleaned up with a little sandpaper. I used the wiring diagram for our quads and found out that the cdi box and headlights grounds are contected.

#10 ·
I pulled my front plastic today and sure enough the ground on the front left under where the 2 hidden bolts that hold the front on was loose as hell. Tightened that up and good to go! Looks like when I get a chance I will be using a lot of blue loctite on a bunch of stuff. Thank you again every one for all of your help!

#5 ·
I will have to check that out. Now that I think about it, a while back once in a while my left headlight would go dim intermittently. Today I went to take off the stator cover to look inside for anything damaged or out of place and oil started coming out as I started seperating the cover. I tightened it back up asap. Looks like I might have a seal on the crank or something leaking too.

#9 ·
yeah when I told them that oil started coming out when I was pulling on the cover, he said it sounds like the crank seal was leaking. I am just worried that the oil can some how short out the electrical system or something. I really hope that its a ground like you were saying earlier. I just hate pulling all the plastic again, it gets to be a pain getting all the bolts and nuts out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.