Timing Chain Jumped? - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Predator All discussions for the Polaris Predator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Question Timing Chain Jumped?

Hello all, i am new to this forum and the predator 500. I recently purchased a 2006 Predator not running, the guy i bought it from said he thought the crank snapped while he was riding it. I disassembled the top end today and saw that the timing chain was not on the cams but it was in a bunch near the bottom of the chain gaurds. I got it free'd up and used it to rotate the engine a few times. It rotates as it should. But my question is could the tming chain actually come off of the camshafts with the chain still in one peice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I dont think its possible without tearing up the head. The cams are so close to the head that the chain wouldve rubbed somewheres. I know when you install the cams you have so little slack in the chain that you put the cams in one at a time. Most likely someone had it apart didnt get the timing right a few times then thought the crank was snapped. If i were you id rotate it over few times to see if the piston is moving. If you have the right tools try a leak down test to see if the valves are bent. If all is good just try setting the timing right and see if it starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

take it down and look at valves and piston. if everything looks good replace the cam chain and cam chain tensioner set your timing and give it a try.

04 Polaris predator 558 Flat track quad
04 Polaris predator 500 trail build(in the works)
started life as a replacement frame so a ground up build
Build predator and outlaw lowering kits
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

OK so i tested the head for leaks and im good there, i used the chain to rotate the crank and its rotating pretty smooth. But my chain tensioner is froze up, unless there is something im doing wrong when trying to reset it.Tomorrow im going to get a service manual for it and maybe a new tensioner. Now my concern is timing.I have timed many 4 stroke engines in my time but i have noticed a lot of talk about the "gold" links.Some say its just to be sure your timed correctly and that as long as your on TDC you will be okay. Is this true?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

theres a 10mm bolt in the end of the tensioner. all that is is a plug take that out and theres a very small flat screw driver slot turn that and the tensioner should retract. i dont remember what way goes in or out so just turn it a bit both ways to see if it moves or not. my guess tho is that you need to replace the chain and tensioner. not that expensive and just the piece of mind having them new will be priceless.

if you need more help jump over to Polaris Pro Riders tons of knowledge and helpful guys there. im co owner and leo that answers questions over here is the other owner.

04 Polaris predator 558 Flat track quad
04 Polaris predator 500 trail build(in the works)
started life as a replacement frame so a ground up build
Build predator and outlaw lowering kits
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

WOW! your good bro. Thank you for your help man . I appreciate it greatly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in