Picked up a 03 Pred 500, many questions - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Predator All discussions for the Polaris Predator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Picked up a 03 Pred 500, many questions

Hello Guys, Im new to this Forum

Today, I picked up what I though was a 04 pred 500, but it was actually a 03, atleast it says that on the frame!
It got about 30 hours on it, mostly been sitting inside for many many years. The guy I bought it from is the first owner and the quad looked real clean, all stock.

The first thing I did, was to change the oil. It had magnetic oil drain plugs wich is real nice, but there were quite many metal shavings stuck on the plugs, very thin but long shavings...this could be from break in, since the engine hasn't run much.
But also, something very very noticable was the clutch, it didn't engage properly. The guy didn't know what he was doing I think...even though he had owned lots of quads and dirt bikes. First thing I did was to make the clutch engage properly...I still think it engages a little far out, but I can't seem to get it in the middle where I like it.

I really hope the metal shavings aren't from the clutch slippin..it seems to gear real smooth and fine now..but I guess these quads can stand some beating anyways?

I've also heard there were some trouble with the models before 04...tranny failure and shit? Please write me a review of how these quads are and what common faults would be I would like it to last a long time.

Good answers Would be Mostly Appreciated guys I seem to like the pred 500 so far, I also got a YFZ 450 08' at the moment. Have owned a Kfx450, Raptor 660, and a raptor 700 previously, Love quads till death

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Well to give you some insight, I have an 03 Project bike I bought and I also have an 04 that I am the original owner of...

03-04 don't use the ratchet style shifter like most bikes do (which polaris changed that in 05 and added reverse) Keep an eye on your chain every ride and make sure its tight, one slip off and you will twist you main tranny shaft and it will be stuck in gear! Thats what happened to the 03 project bike i bought and it was stuck in 1st gear.

I change my oil ever 3-4 rides depending and have always used Polaris PS4 Synthetic and TO THIS DAY I still get shavings out of my 04, not much but some. Granted my bike is nearly 10yrs old but it had been beat and has been a champ its whole life, never a problem (knock on wood) But I take very good care of my bikes as they always get pressure washed and greased after every ride! All depends on how much care you put into them. Mine still has original axle bearings too and I ride alot during the summer.

Front wheel bearings are an issue, they seem to need replaced every 2-3yrs, watch your shock bushings and tie rod ends, also the steering stem bushing up top. I did have a few issues with cheap hardware from polaris (bolts breaking off and such) but I replaced a good bit of it with quality grade 8 stuff. Paint on the frame is Junk, powder coating is a good idea if you have the time. Mine started flaking and peeling off after 3mos of having the bike but polaris wouldn't warranty it for whatever reason.

All in all they are great bikes and yamaha, honda, and suzuki ppl tend to under estimate them ALOT. they don't realize that a stock pred will out run same model year 450's. maybe not the new fuel injected bikes and such but they will still give them a run for their $$!

Any other questions or anything feel free to ask! I have had my 03 down to a bare frame and back and have owned Predators since 2005!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

How much play are we talking when you say the chain must be tight?

Great write up btw! Good to hear.
I've actually never thought the pred 500 was a bad quad, even though i love Yamahas I think so far the pred is a more comfy ride. Man what a seat! I could ride her all day

How many hours could I get out og the engine? I change oil often and keep everything clean as a whistle.
And the gears shouldnt give me a hard time if the chain is watched regulary?
And back to the clutch adjustments...its fully adjusted down right above the clutch arm itself, and tightened on the lever...seem to engage too far out. ive tried adjusting upwards on the clutch arm as well... No luck. Any info, pics?

Thanks think Ill live this machine! Runs smooth with a good powerband!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Picked up a 03 Pred 500, many questions-imageuploadedbyoff-road-forums1397521521.913318.jpg

'03 preddy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode