Can-am rider, considering a Scrambler - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 Discussions for the 2014+ Polaris Scrambler XP 1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Can-am rider, considering a Scrambler

Hi all,

Long time Can-am rider here, currently owning a 2017 Outlander 1000 XTp Max. I use the ATV for the trails, the occasional MX track and on-road riding in Western Europe. I no longer need a 2up model and am considering to purchase a Scrambler XP 1000. The model that's offered here is basically the 2018 model year package with the red plastics, the digital gauge cluster from the sportsman and it has both ADC and EBS. As you can imagine I have a few questions because this is quite a different ATV than my current one. I did my research but apologize in advance if my questions are already answered on this forum.

It looks like the Scrambler throws a lot of mud in the driver's face, similar to a Renegade. How effective are the 3rd party fender flares that are sold on Ebay? I'm concerned that they are easily damaged when passing around trees on a narrow trail.

Am I missing something, or does the Scrambler have zero storage space. Not really a big deal, I can carry a small back or box on the front or rear rack with me.

Changing a belt is a lot more work than on a Can-am. Do people typically carry the required tools to take of the wheel other parts if the belt fails while you're in the middle of nowhere?

I like the stock location of the radiator. I mean, it's vulnerable but at least it's better accessible than on the Can-am Outlander and Renegade. What do people typically do to keep the mud out? I would add a piece of mesh in front of the grill but read the radiator is not protected from the wheel arches. I'd rather not relocate the radiator.

I love the Fox shocks on my Outlander, they're fully adjustable with rebound and fast/slow compression adjusters. How does that work with the 18 presets on the Scrambler. Did you ruin into the limitations or considering replacing them with fully adjustable shocks? I couldn't find anything on the shocks in the owners manual.

Anybody else who switched from Can-am to Polaris recently? How was your experience, any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:03 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Direction 2 makes good fender flares and the are TOUGH!!

No storage to my knowledge.

Belt is tougher to change the because the engine is mounted in a longitudinal direction. But nothing that can't be done on the trail. FYI stock belts and clutching are robust so belt changes if done under a PM schedule should never be an issue out on the trail.

As for the radiator I just keep mine clean. It gets hosed down after every ride like the rest of the wheeler.

The Scramy fox shocks aren't going to compare to the Outy shocks but I've heard they do a good job.

Funny thing you started this thread, I'll be ordering a 2020 Outy XXC Thursday. Supposedly the dealer will have an availability for me by then. It doesn't look like Polaris is going to produce a Scramy 1k for 2020. So it's time to give Can-Am a go. Plus all my buddies are going Can-Am and ditching their Japanese wheelers.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
Hi all,

Long time Can-am rider here, currently owning a 2017 Outlander 1000 XTp Max. I use the ATV for the trails, the occasional MX track and on-road riding in Western Europe. I no longer need a 2up model and am considering to purchase a Scrambler XP 1000. The model that's offered here is basically the 2018 model year package with the red plastics, the digital gauge cluster from the sportsman and it has both ADC and EBS. As you can imagine I have a few questions because this is quite a different ATV than my current one. I did my research but apologize in advance if my questions are already answered on this forum.

It looks like the Scrambler throws a lot of mud in the driver's face, similar to a Renegade. How effective are the 3rd party fender flares that are sold on Ebay? I'm concerned that they are easily damaged when passing around trees on a narrow trail.

Am I missing something, or does the Scrambler have zero storage space. Not really a big deal, I can carry a small back or box on the front or rear rack with me.

Changing a belt is a lot more work than on a Can-am. Do people typically carry the required tools to take of the wheel other parts if the belt fails while you're in the middle of nowhere?

I like the stock location of the radiator. I mean, it's vulnerable but at least it's better accessible than on the Can-am Outlander and Renegade. What do people typically do to keep the mud out? I would add a piece of mesh in front of the grill but read the radiator is not protected from the wheel arches. I'd rather not relocate the radiator.

I love the Fox shocks on my Outlander, they're fully adjustable with rebound and fast/slow compression adjusters. How does that work with the 18 presets on the Scrambler. Did you ruin into the limitations or considering replacing them with fully adjustable shocks? I couldn't find anything on the shocks in the owners manual.

Anybody else who switched from Can-am to Polaris recently? How was your experience, any advice?
Consider the sportsman 1000xp. Same basic bike as the Scrambler only with electronic throttle and bigger fenders and more storage. Less $$$ up front also. I have one, it is pretty sporting looking and does a good job of keeping the mud off.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
Funny thing you started this thread, I'll be ordering a 2020 Outy XXC Thursday. Supposedly the dealer will have an availability for me by then. It doesn't look like Polaris is going to produce a Scramy 1k for 2020. So it's time to give Can-Am a go. Plus all my buddies are going Can-Am and ditching their Japanese wheelers.
Funny indeed. At this point I don't see any real big difference between the brands, certainly not after you have driven 30 minutes and got used to the different ergonomics and handling. It's just that Can-am currently doesn't offer a road-legal Renegade in my country, otherwise I would've stuck with Can-am.

Thanks for recommending the Direction 2 fender flares. I found a few sellers on Ebay but none shipping to The Netherlands, I'll do some more research.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The belt is no harder to change than the can-am. I have changed belts on both. It freaks people out to see the belt where it is but it is not hard to change at all. The big deal people make out of it is you must take off the rear tire and one support bracket. The can-am requires taking off the entire foot well (which to me is a huge pain in the ass).

How often do you change belts anyhow? I put a new one on at about 5000 miles and sell the bike at around 10,000. One belt change in the life of the bike is not a game changer for me.

D
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Agree, in 10 years riding CVT driven ATV's I broke down in the forest only once. But I'm always carrying a spare belt and the tools to replace it with me since then. Not all Can-ams require to remove the foot well, btw. For most it's just the 13 bolts of the CVT cover. But yes, having to remove the wheel and support the frame while doing it sound like quite an adventure.

Regards the Sportsman, yes that would probably the sensible alternative. But I had Can-am's sensible model for ages now and am ready to buy a more sporty model. I kinda like the aggressive look of the Scrambler, it's not exactly pretty but at least a lot sportier than the Sportsman. Another reason is that at many local events it's frowned upon to enter with a utility model, even though we all know that there's virtually no difference in performance whether you drive a Sportsman or Scrambler, Outlander or Renegade.

The only problem I have with the looks of the Scrambler is the red plastics and decals, personally I like the white plastics from previous model years better.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Hi all,

the Scrambler has a little storage compartment,
the fox podium x shocks are fully adjustable, the presets are only for rebound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00A3FB63-DE0A-415F-8C18-453DCA948C28.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	118801   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5E457DA-318F-4935-89A8-7229A82D5623.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	118803   Click image for larger version

Name:	233CA98E-81BA-4F00-A460-FAF2419261D7.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	118805  

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Great stuff, thanks. Do you know where I can find more information about the shocks? A review or user manual maybe?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

BTW, unfortunately this is not accurate. I test drove the Scrambler today and the shocks have a single dial to choose a preset that controles both high speed, low speed compression as well as rebound.

Have: 2019 Scrambler XP 1000 - 2016 Yamaha YFZ-450r
Had: 2006 Barossa - 2007 Raptor 350 - 2004 Warrior - 1996 Blaster - 2001 Raptor 660 - 1991 Banshee - 1998 Blaster - 2009 Raptor 250 - 2007 Raptor 700SE - SMC Extreme 250 - 2007 Renegade 800 - Yamaha Breeze (2x) - 2011 Raptor 250 - 2008 Outlander 800 Max LTD - 2008 YFZ450 - 2011 Raptor 250 - 1999 Eton AXL90 - 2007 YFZ450SE - 2011 Outlander 800 Max LTD - 2007 Raptor 250 SE - Suzuki LT50 - 2013 Outlander 1000 Max XT-P - 2009 Outlander 650 Max XT - Suzuki LTR450 - 2014 Outlander 1000 Max XT-P - 2009 Raptor 250 - YFZ450 with RMZ250 engine - 2017 Outlander 1000 Max XT-p
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
BTW, unfortunately this is not accurate. I test drove the Scrambler today and the shocks have a single dial to choose a preset that controles both high speed, low speed compression as well as rebound.
did you look at the shocks,?
the coils are adjustable via shock collar threads and tool is included .
they are not dual rate like Elkas .

https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_cen...-061_F_web.pdf

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler XP 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode