Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 1000 vs can am xtp?

14K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  indy 
#1 ·
Debating on these two with in the next month. I must say I really don't trust cam crap after my rear diff exploded in the first two hrs and wasn't covered but I never had a polaris either. The sportsman has great reviews but this is the first 1000 right. If I go sportsman I see it's 12k and might be worth adding nice shocks for the same price as the can crap xtp. But what would you guys do?

#2 ·
1000 motor came out earlier in the Scrambler. So there is some time out in real world already. XPs ride pretty sweet as is IMO.

#3 ·
i have the 1000 sportsman and came off a 850 sportsman the ride is close but the power is right from the go it pulls like a bitch and i only have 155 miles on it, i can hardly wait till i have 500 600 miles on her when it wakes up

#5 ·
Well u r looking at the right one (xtp). U will need Elka stage 4's on the sportsman to be comparable. The ergonomics of the xp chassis is much better...the slim mid section is great. Attention to detail and fit and finishes better on canam IMO.

I have the 850le with fox shocks and they are nowhere near as nice quality as the Elka stage 2's I had on my brute. I also really wish they had separate hi and low speed compression adjustments (Elka stage 4 and the fox podiums on the xtp). Ride them both and see what u like better (xtp 1000 might be hard to find to test ride though?). Good luck on your choice and have fun!

#7 ·
How are the ones that come with the sportsman 1000? On the YouTube review it claims the 850 had great stock shocks. But yea I was thinking the elka stage 4's if I did it.

Really wanted to see what and if yamaha puts anything big out but even if they do it would be too early I think to buy not knowing what it's pros and cons will be. Yams so reliable. I had two can ams and alls they did was break bad a lot and were always a problem to get fixed right and under warranty. So the xtp I'm trying hard to avoid. Polaris looks best so far.

#8 ·
Regular non adjustable shocks on the Polaris sportsman 1000. Don't offer the "fox shocks" I have on my 850le on the 1k yet. Stock for stock Polaris certainly rides better than an xt outlander. The xtp is a little different as u can do far more with the shocks. My 850le rides good and handles great, but I cannot get the shocks to be supple on trail chatter and still be able to handle hard g out hits. The limitations of the shocks do show up....and these r "better" than the shocks on the sportsman 1k.....if u go with sportsman 1k and order elkas u will get them custom made for ur weight and style...something the xtp's fox's cannot do.....

#10 ·
I know what you mean. The stock Fox adjustable shocks that come on the 1000 are actually very good for trail riding and somewhat aggressive riding, just not for racing. Some guys buy the take off shocks to upgrade there current rides without breaking the bank as Elkas are very expensive. I am thinking of letting my brand new stock 1000 Fox shocks go but hate to have an issue with the Elkas and miss a race while they are out for repair.

#17 ·
If you get the polaris take the stock shocks and put them on a wheel barrel they BLOW I have elka stage 1 on my 13 850 and I weigh 300 lbs, custom made to your weight and riding style, My newphew has a 1k XTP and weighs 260 the
front springs are sagging on the xtp after 1 season, ground clearence is down to about 7" he hits everything.

#18 ·
If you are a racer or even a wannbe one, then buy the scrambler, i have the 1000 sportsman with the stock shocks what a smooth ride and flat cornering, i weigh 250 lbs. and only have them on 2 clicks from softest and i have yet to bottom out and i have it some hidden holes where i should of. i love them but i am not jumping with it, sportsman was not designed for jumping the scrambler was, and compared the can am, ride them both (i have, my buddy has one) there is no comparison in nice ride and in a race if the can am can keep the front end down it will be ahead for 40 ft and then the polaris drives by like the can am shut it off, and you can go over to can am site and even they say the same thing the Polaris's smooth clutching and putting it to the ground if far faster then the can am, my buddy can get me for 40 50 ft but after that polaris's mid range and top end is brutal, they are just a little soft on the bottom but that is the slower reving of the motor, you can get some of it better in clucthing but it is so smooth why change it, and you can wheelie like when ever you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.