Polaris ATV Forum banner

Shifter Issues, Noises, and stuff...

5K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  SR1000 
#1 ·
I'm really feeling like a NEWB with all I have to keep coming to the forum for, but you guys are great and I figured on these issues I would come here before I go to a stealership.
1. I have read many Polaris haters (Especially Canned Ham Fans) talk about Polaris' notorious shifting. I have never had a utility quad or any Polaris quad. After some semi aggressive trail riding, I started to notice it was very difficult to shift the quad. Especially into High. Once I would get it into High, it was very hard to get it out of High. I ALWAYS only shift when completely stopped. Along with the hard shifter, I started noticing a weird noise from the left side of the quad at idle. I can't differentiate front or rear, but I'm pretty sure it is the left side. Then today I went out to move it, and it is still very hard to shift, it still makes noises at idle and it began a squealing with the brake applied and in gear. As soon as I released the brake, the squeal was gone.

2. The other thing I just noticed today went I was moving the quad, once I could get it into gear, it was moving without any throttle. It had not done this before.

Could anyone please contribute your experiences and let me know if this is normal or if i need to be concerned.

A little background on the quad. Only 5 hours and no performance mods. Just Cecco a-arm braces, and rogue offroad grille. Thank you for any and all input. You guys are great!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the '14 Scrambler 1000. I'm not sure what idle is set at. I will have to look. But I think roughly 1250 RPM is coming to mind just off the top of my head. I'm brand new to this type of clutch. What exactly would I be looking for hanging up? I actually just ordered a clutch kit from you, so it will be getting opened up. Would the hanging up cause all the issues? Thank you.

#4 · (Edited)
You need to take the clutch cover off and see if the secondary clutch retaining washer had slipped out of place. Everything you are describing is exactly what mine did due to the Teflon washer not seated back into the recessed area on the secondary. It is the large flat washer under the retaining bolt.
This is what mine looked like when it slipped out of place. If it did, you will need to loosen the bolt and put the washer Bach where it is supposed to be. If you put time on the machine for a while with it out of place, I would replace the washer.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I would insist that the dealer takes care of it for free. This is an issue that Polaris needs to recognize as a problem. It occurs under a certain scenario where you are on the throttle, quickly leave off the throttle and brake hard and gas it again like moving hard into a turn, brake (maybe while in rough terrain) and gas out of the turn etc.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thank you so much for your response sr1000. That sounds exactly like done of my riding so that is very possible. Is this something I'm constantly going to have to keep watching for? It's there anyway to keep it from happening again? Thanks again for your replies.

#6 ·
Mine has not done it since as it is a series or sequence of events that happen just at the right time to cause it. Polaris has a web site their mechanics can post issues to help each other and hope that they start discussing this internally as it is a problem, just not wide spread at this point.

#9 ·
**update**

Hello everyone, I just wanted to update everyone on my thrust washer issue. The dealer confirmed that it was a slipped thrust washer in the secondary clutch. Well it must be a bigger issue than anyone was aware of. Polaris has been back ordered on the washer for 2 weeks and they are not supposed to be shipped to my dealer until October 10. If it's back ordered, it must be a problem. I'm sure hoping they actually get it in, I have a planned ride on October 23 that I've already sank a bunch of money into. Can't go with no ride!

#12 ·
I am not pleased to say my secondary clutch threw the washer for a second time. I am not sure what the rep will say but the clutch is just a poor design. The secondary is more of a floating design (for a lack of better description) and feel due to the way the two sides move to pinch the belt, this will likely keep happening. I am not sure if I ran the 850 secondary if that would respond properly to the motor and the 1000 primary or not but the 850 is not designed this way. I have two more Teflon coated washers coming but this is a real issue that should be addressed with Polaris.

#13 ·
I'm very sorry to hear that you had this issue again. I talked to the technician that did the warranty work. Polaris sent a new washer and boss. He said he believes the new part is different. The old boss has a copper or goldish color to it. He said the new one is all silver. I have not had a chance to run it on any trails, so I don't know how it's going to hold up. I would contact Polaris and see if they can help you out. It seems like they are becoming aware of the issue.

#15 ·
Yes, the large washer that is on the outside. The tech couldn't tell any difference other than color just from comparison. I'm doing a clutch kit this weekend. I can take pics and measurements then for your comparison. Any other help I can possibly offer, please let me know.

#17 ·
Just wanted to update you after my trip to Hatfield McCoy. I ran it hard through the trails and didn't worry about the issue to see if it would do it again. Fortunately it held up. Not a single problem with the transmission. Unfortunately the weak stock tires put a damper on my fun. 3 miles in on the very first ride, I got a slice in the right front sidewall. Definitely looking to replace tires with a MUCH more sturdy profile. Regardless, maybe the new thrust washer is actually different. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.